Leaned RG tremolo post - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Leaned RG tremolo post

Hello there and merry Christmas to everyone!

Iíve been lurking around this forum for some time and after seeing there are many helpful people, I decided to join.
So, I have a problem with my RG270 (í02 model, double locking tremolo) Ė it goes out of tune after even a slight whammy use. After a closer inspection, I noticed that one of the tremolo posts (on the bass side) is slightly leaned towards the neck side. The other post is in perfect 90 degrees. Could this be the source of the tuning problems? Is it possible to fix?
P.S. I thought of replacing the cheap tremolo unit with something better, like an Original Floyd Rose, but now Iím not sure it would help.

Cheers,
Voyager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 09:55 PM

Hey Voyager,
I once had to setup an RG270 for a friend, and BOTH of the posts leaned towards the neck. I manage to achieve an ok, pretty stable tuning (well, as good as you can get it with that type of trem), but it was just luck because they were tight in the position. Seems to me the holes have been drilled that way.
Anyway, remove your trem and check if you can move the post back and forth. If its not tight, you could try to pull the anchor out and glue it to the wood in a 90 degrees angle.
And you're right, a better trem is useless as long as the anchors aren't set tight into the body.

But there could also be other reasons for the tuning instability of your trem. On my first Ibanez, the TRS was driving me nuts until I realised that the fine tuners were so loose that they screwed themselves further out just by changing string tension (-> doing pull-ups). Got a cheap Lo-Pro Edge and now everything is fine.

ps. Sorry for my lame english!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 PM

had the same thing happen to me but it came after some heavy abuse sort of crushed the wood. What I did was remove the trem and pulled the post. I used a chain saw file, which is basically a rough metal dowel and removed the crushed wood then used jb weld to fill in the space. Also replaced with new trem post and an original floyd. That guitar stays in tune extremely well now *not as well as my 520 but its useable* Anyway best of luck and some pictures of the problem are always helpful
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Well, I removed the trem and checked the posts. The treble side post is firmly seated. The bass side one wobbles around in the anchor as if either the diameter of the anchor is too big, or the post is too slim. The anchor itself is firmly seated and does not move. I tried screwing in the treble side post to see how that fits, but it only went halfway and got stuck. It looks that the posts are not of the same diameter. I gues there's nothing to be done here.
As for the pictures - I'll try to post some, althought my digital camera is not suitable for closeups and it is difficult to see the angled post.

EDIT:
image links:
http://www.freewebs.com/vlp2/RG270_side.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/vlp2/RG270_front.jpg

Tags
double locking tremolo , floyd rose , locking tremolo , pro edge , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode