LED light bar/strip mod to Valvestate Head...HELP?! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

LED light bar/strip mod to Valvestate Head...HELP?!

ive had a marshall VS102R for about 12 years now. i got it when i was in school, and a 100W 2x12 combo kicked asses far and wide as far as kit went. it was loud, it had my multi effects in front of it, and to be honest, i didnt really know that much about tone etc back then!

now ive been playing for a little longer, i wouldnt say i knew a lot about tone, but i certainally know that there are better/nicer sounding amps out there, marshall or otherwise. so i am on the lookout for something valve driven, but havent gotten round to figuring out exactly what i want from a new amp yet, so thats on the back burner for a while!

so, on to the thread topic...

...what im looking to do is go from a 2x12 combo, to a head and 4x12, just for sheer ballsyness, and coz ive always wanted a half stack/full stack! since i cant decide what i want from a new amp, and my current one serves me fine, i thought it could be kinda cool to have a go at the whole modding/experimenting side of things, and turn the VS102R into a VS100H and build my own head cabinet (just for fun!).

that in itself is simple enough (famous last words), but what i really want to do is make it really cool by the time im done with it. here what i want to do, but i need help on the electrical side of things (hopefully from you guys!!):

1) build a head cabinet to house the amp - it will be mounted to the top of the head, just as it is in the combo, coz thats where the screws are.

2) put a sheet of perspex in the gap below it at the front

3) have 3 different coloured LED bars/strips mounted inside the cab, at the bottom at the front, underneath a slight lip.

4) have these LED bars strips light up individually upon selection of each of the 3 channels - so for example, green for clean, blue for OD1 and red for OD2. (this, i know, is the hard part of the whole problem!)

ive looked around the web and other forums, and i can find people putting light bars in that come on with the power, ive found guys with the jewel type power LEDs putting 2 in (blue and red), for a 2 channel amp, and they can have red for clean and purple for OD (they can have 1, or 1+2, not 1 or 2), but i cant find anyone who's done what i want to do!

i have no quarms with taking it to suitable places to get work done (im not such a dab hand with electrics), just so long as i know in advance when im expecting to done, etc etc etc.

so, to the technical gurus out there - IS THIS POSSIBLE???

cheers

rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: LED light bar/strip mod to Valvestate Head...HELP?!

Yes-or use RGB LEDs with a driver/controller.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

ok - when i said "is this possible?", what i actually meant was would anyone be able to give me any kind of starting blocks to play with?

all i know is that the switch feed is going to have to come from the relay so it can be used with the footswitch, and im guessing that wherever i draw power from, im still gonna have to put resistors in so as not to blow LEDs. where would be the best place to come off the board??
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybaby1985 View Post
ok - when i said "is this possible?", what i actually meant was would anyone be able to give me any kind of starting blocks to play with?

all i know is that the switch feed is going to have to come from the relay so it can be used with the footswitch, and im guessing that wherever i draw power from, im still gonna have to put resistors in so as not to blow LEDs. where would be the best place to come off the board??
Hang on Ricky--I'll shot you some diagrams today.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

awesome, cheers dude!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode