Let me make sure I've got this straight - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Let me make sure I've got this straight

A). If I have the new edge pro tremolo, then in order for it to function correctly, I need to purchase the 2LE2B locking stud/posts and replace the current posts?

B). If on my lopro edge when I lift the bar I go out of tune, then when I dive bomb it returns to tune, I also need new 2LE2B locking stud/posts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

BTW, this is what I gathered from reading the Tech Setup on the front page.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:09 AM

maybe some setup issues. on the new edge pro you can replace the studs with the old school studs for better performance but definetly not to operate. as for your lo pro, try setting it up a little. Mine works perfectly fine and I have old studs.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I've exhausted those options, thanks. Still curious about those 2LE2B locking stud/posts for both issues.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Re: Let me make sure I've got this straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverMan
A). If I have the new edge pro tremolo, then in order for it to function correctly, I need to purchase the 2LE2B locking stud/posts and replace the current posts?
No...you don't need to. However, it is the opinion of many that over time the studs will oblong the anchor in the body wood due to the amount of play there is in the threads...totaly up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverMan
B). If on my lopro edge when I lift the bar I go out of tune, then when I dive bomb it returns to tune, I also need new 2LE2B locking stud/posts?
Several thing to look for here.
1. Make sure the nut is tight to the neck.
2. Make sure the nut pads are alligned correctly. They have a curved side that matches the nut.
3. Make sure your string retainer is adjusted properly. It should be adjusted so the string is barely off the back of the nut.

The studs described depend on the production year of your guitar. Rich would be able to address those better than I. But there seems to be a binding issue between the stud and the knife.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Vendor

Loose studs [ie, those that don't lock] can add to instability in tuning from dive to pull-up. It's not just a question of oblonging the insert holes

The full stability checklist is here
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:46 PM

yea

speaking of new trems if you have a Edge Pro II can you swap it for the new Edge Pro?? The site's kind of unclear on this.. I know you can't use the older ones.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:29 AM

I don't think you can just replace the Edge Pro posts with the locking ones, you would also need to replace the post bushings for them to be effective. Because the new post bushings don't have bottoms. Therefore, nothing for the locking post to lock to. Except wood.
I also think it was covered early on when these new trems came out that none are compatable with each other, whether it's the Edge Pro, Pro II, or Edge/LoPro.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
I don't think you can just replace the Edge Pro posts with the locking ones, you would also need to replace the post bushings for them to be effective. Because the new post bushings don't have bottoms. Therefore, nothing for the locking post to lock to. Except wood.
There are no post bushings on the Edge Pro are there? Hence the oblonging of the wood. The way I understand it is that when you replace the studs on the Edge Pro with the 2LE2B's you just tap the little locking bit into the wood.

wil..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Vendor

You canNOT lock locking studs into wood
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:28 PM

I would like to point out that the stability thing is an issue on SOME new trem guitars. I have played a lot of them with perfect return, so check yours first instead of thinking that EP's automatically require locking studs.

As Rich's list states, the main thing is having the strings properly stretched. I would say most of the guitars I've seen with 'problems' had only misstretched strings, some had loose bolts (specially the nut and neck joint), and the very few had 'real' issues.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
You canNOT lock locking studs into wood
my bad

wil..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
I would like to point out that the stability thing is an issue on SOME new trem guitars. I have played a lot of them with perfect return, so check yours first instead of thinking that EP's automatically require locking studs.

As Rich's list states, the main thing is having the strings properly stretched. I would say most of the guitars I've seen with 'problems' had only misstretched strings, some had loose bolts (specially the nut and neck joint), and the very few had 'real' issues.
Evidently you're running into more "good" guitars than I am

Tags
edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , locking stud , locking studs , neck joint , nut pads , pro edge , pro tremolo , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode