LET'S ALL PETITION WARMOTH! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

LET'S ALL PETITION WARMOTH!

I recently wrote a post about whether anyone knew if Warmoth's two Floyd Rose routings would fit the Edge or LoPro Edge. The consensus seemed to be no ...

So I emailed Warmoth asking them if they'd consider programming their CNC to do it. I even sent them Ibanez's specs. Here's their reply ....

>Hello Jim,
>
>Software programming is, as you can imagine,
>something that we do all the time. The revolving priority
>list for what we program follows one main mantra; program
>that which has the biggest market potential. Those things
>in turn are at the top of our priority list which is driven by
>customer requests that come at us from all over the world.
>
>
>While Iíve heard your request once before, unfortunately
>it would be a ways down on the list. You can rest assured
>that someday weíll get to it, but not in the near future.
>Thank you for your suggestion.

>Best regards,

>Gregg Stewart
>Sales Manager
>Warmoth Guitar Products Inc.

So there it is ... if you've ever thought about putting together a guitar using Warmoth parts, but were put off because they wouldn't rout for the world's best trem, drop Gregg a line at [email protected] and let him know! Maybe we can get somewhere on this ... mmm ... honey sunburst flame-maple top, korina bodied VIP with korina neck, rosewood fingerboad, Seymour Duncans and lo-pro edge, anyone? Yum!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:38 PM

Until Ibanez starts offering their trems as boxed retail replacement parts (as opposed to 'service' parts that have to be ordered), there probably isn't much point in pursuing Warmoth aggressively.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:45 PM

Though I'd kill for a baritone 7-string from them with a Lo-Pro-7, Darren makes a good point.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Vendor

I don't understand the point Darren, they may not be in a box but full kits are available, it's the DEALERS that would have to stock them and they just won't
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:58 PM

What i mean is Ibanez does not market their trems as replacement parts, so why would a dealer bother? If Warmoth could stock and sell Ibanez trems and ship them along with the bodies they sell, they might be a lot more open to the idea.

A big problem is that Ibanez doesn't do a great job teaching people about their innovations and improvements to the original Floyd design. If they effectively communicated the unique advantages of the Edge trems, there might be more demand for them as aftermarket replacments.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Vendor

All Warmouth would have to do is sign a parts dealership agreement and they could do just that
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:56 PM

I'm not trying to start any trouble, and the Warmoth people are good people. But it would seem to me that if that's the actual response to your inquiry, it would be more of a reason to abandon Warmoth than to petition them. (which is to beg them to care about you per se) They don't seem to care about an AANJ, (22's or 24's) and they don't have an RG shaped body either. They just don't seem to "get it" when it comes to the Ibanez group. Their super strats follow the Jackson group, and making 7-string necks with 25" scales was the topper for me. They were saying, "you can't use these unless you buy our bodies" (not to mention the obsurdity of shortening the scale of a 7 string) They are missing out like crazy in my opinion because every time you turn around someone else is asking "where can I get a neck to fit my Ibanez?" Used and abused Ibanez necks are selling for more than new strat necks in many cases. So fine, don't pay attention to us. I know I've scoured e-bay several times and bought used Ibanez necks, refretted them, and refinished them in cases where I would've loved to just buy a Warmoth instead.

There's some company with a name like "american guitars" or something that Tommy and others from Warmoth started. A forum search should yield a post on it. But I think its time to go to people like Jeremy, other small shops, Tommy's company (whatever the name is) EKG, and others who already appreciate you guys and what you like. In a free market, that is what's supposed to happen. The reason Warmoth doesn't see the potential is because they have avoided guys "like us" since the 'superstrat wars" began in the late '80's. So they made their bed.......
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 AM

Ages ago i tried to find a replacement neck for a very old radius model which i believed had an ultra neck, after searching far and wide i wound up on warmoths door and, you guessed it, they were'nt compliant, even for custom work..... Anyway, after i eventually bought a new 3120 i was directed toward carvin and they actually seemed interested in helping. A shame i had already sold the radius, twisted neck and all

Overall I think it would be great if someone such as warmoth would get in line with the EDGE trem deal, though they are correct in saying that demand ultimately dictates their direction. However, another factor would be the general displeasure of Ibanez if we all stopped buying their guitars.

This thread actually peaked my curiousity in Carvin again and it's very well likely i might just try one in the not so far future... But yes, give me a carvin kit routed for an edge, and i'm there.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
There's some company with a name like "american guitars" or something that Tommy and others from Warmoth started. A forum search should yield a post on it. But I think its time to go to people like Jeremy, other small shops, Tommy's company (whatever the name is) EKG, and others who already appreciate you guys and what you like. In a free market, that is what's supposed to happen. The reason Warmoth doesn't see the potential is because they have avoided guys "like us" since the 'superstrat wars" began in the late '80's. So they made their bed.......
I have talked to that guy. Its USA custom guitars right?

Anyways he is willing to do just about anything! Its a great place but he does require the original neck/body in to take the measurements to program the computers and whatnot. I would have loved to do it but shiping the neck from here to america then back here with the other neck seemed too expensive to do.

I am totally for anything that will give us more replacemnt parts to use
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
making 7-string necks with 25" scales was the topper for me. They were saying, "you can't use these unless you buy our bodies" (not to mention the obsurdity of shortening the scale of a 7 string) So they made their bed.......
right on! [why they'd switch from their normal 25.5" for the 7s is a mystery to me...]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM

The funny this is, I've worked on CNC machines a lot, it would take warmoth all of 5 minutes to write the program for an edge. The bottom line is, they don't want to.
Want to hear another interesting tidbit? I have a customer who is ordering parts from them. He wants an airbrush graphic done on it by me. Warmoth refuses to ship to me because their so called policy is "we don't ship to luthiers"

They CLAIM it's because they then have no control over if they made a mistake in the product (ie, used the wrong woods)
Bull, I've seen Warmoth necks and bodies, even bought from them a time or two. Their product is mediocre at best, I don't think they want luthiers seeing it if avoidable. The funny thing is, their prices are great on replacement bodies and necks, but at those prices I would never expect anything better than mediocrity.

They don't want to appeal to an Ibanez market, yet they make replacement bodies for some pretty obscure guitars out there :S
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 11:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
good time for a lock after some informed commentary.

imho warmoth is a step above garbage and a company to absolutely avoid if you are looking for an Ibanez-clone... glen
Closed Thread

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez trem , pro edge , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , string necks , super strat , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode