Lets talk about neck angles - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Lets talk about neck angles

So, how exactly do you know when the neck angle is set properly? What do you look for? is there an exact science to this or is it setup to one's personal preference? I gotta 2002 Js1000 and I removed the neck to sand it down and there was no shim in the pocket. So when I reinstalled the neck I added a small piece of a business card closest to the neck pickup. I just added it because my other Js1000 which was a 2004 had it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 AM

If I don't shim my necks, my bridge would be screwed all the way down and it still wouldn't give me a low enough action and I lose pull up room. So I kinda need to Shim my neck. I would choose to do a little sanding to the neck had i had more confidence in my dexterity but the fact that its irreversable kinda...make me nervous so I shim it, I try to use metal shims but im sure business cards are just fine
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:44 AM

It changes the height of the bridge, so more neck angle equals greater pull-up as was said. My opinion is that the neck angle should be manufactured into the guitar, and shims are just a quick fix. I don't use shims from a philosophical standpoint, because I think they hurt the sound of the guitar. But I have the ability to route a neck angle right into any neck pocket, so if I need more angle, I just route it in. Not everyone can do that, so I realize the necessity of shims. If you weren't previously frustrated at the amount of pull-up you had in your trem, take the shim out.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
It changes the height of the bridge, so more neck angle equals greater pull-up as was said. My opinion is that the neck angle should be manufactured into the guitar, and shims are just a quick fix. I don't use shims from a philosophical standpoint, because I think they hurt the sound of the guitar. But I have the ability to route a neck angle right into any neck pocket, so if I need more angle, I just route it in. Not everyone can do that, so I realize the necessity of shims. If you weren't previously frustrated at the amount of pull-up you had in your trem, take the shim out.
The pull up on my lo pro kinda sucks. Im going to swap it out for an edge once rich gets the cosmo black's in stock. Wait..... I need to get the money first!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Vendor

Switching to an Edge will not increase the pullup range, only adding more neck angle and raising the bridge, or just raising the action will do that.

How much neck angle is enough? If your action is as low as you want and you have as much pullup range as you want then you have enough angle. Any more would be overkill.

Everything [so far] for 04' has had the neck angle built into the pocket. It started last year with a few models sporatically and seems like they've incorporated it into the full line this year. I can't think of one new guitar I've had to add a neck shim to this year, although I have a terrible memory
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Switching to an Edge will not increase the pullup range, only adding more neck angle and raising the bridge, or just raising the action will do that.

How much neck angle is enough? If your action is as low as you want and you have as much pullup range as you want then you have enough angle. Any more would be overkill.

Everything [so far] for 04' has had the neck angle built into the pocket. It started last year with a few models sporatically and seems like they've incorporated it into the full line this year. I can't think of one new guitar I've had to add a neck shim to this year, although I have a terrible memory
Rich. where exactly is the best spot to place the pieces business cards to increase the neck angle?

I want to increase the pull up range just a little. So far I have added one small piece of business card to shim it.

Many garcias!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Vendor

1 business card shim should be more than adequate.

At the end of the neck pocket right next to the neck p/up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM

I may be an idiot but I just shimmed the neck in the RG270 with a dunlop 1.14 mm pick!
it's got LOTS of pullup range
admittedly, the bridge is sitting ridiciously high.
it's an experimental guitar so I'm not worried about it.
I think I may lower it back down a bit though.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:24 PM

My only comment on neck angle is that I keep mine at a minimum to meet all of the criteria already mentioned (correct action also allowing for enough pull-up etc.) - the further the bridge studs are out of the inserts, the more leverage is applied to the inserts, thereby exerting more forward pressure on the wood around the inserts, making ovaling of the wood holes more likely.
Make sense? Perhaps there's a mathematician who can give some actual formulae/figures to back this up...
=]

... for the record, I actually used to prefer my bridges pretty high off of the body (when using Floyd Rose bridges) as I worked best with that extra clearance between strings and body/pickguard.
This is why I lower any middle pickups flush with the pickguard and remove them from the circuit - gets right in the way...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Vendor

You don't want any more neck angle than is necessary to get the amount of pullup range [or low action] that you need. What good is it having a lo profile guitar and then raise the strings an inch off the body?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 PM

I'm not too worried about ovaling the holes on this guitar 'cause I plan on installing a lo pro or edgepro on it & will most likely have to plug & re-drill the holes anyway.
having the bridge set so high is kind of cool for the time being....when pulling up all the way, it frets-out yielding some killer harmonic-like notes.
and it's set high because the cavity itself doesn't allow for pullups of that magnitude. I could only get a 4th instead of a 5th like on my 7vwh.

I have a gig on saturday & I plan on thrashing the hell out of it
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVoodoo
. I could only get a 4th instead of a 5th like on my 7vwh.

:
Which would have been cured with a neck shim
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 PM

so I just pulled the neck, removed the original pieces of post-it note paper that I used as a shim along with the purple guitar pick, folded the paper in half, cut it down to size so that it sits only between the holes for the bottom two neck screws.
threw the crappy trsII back in and adjusted it so that the "wings" of the baseplate are just a bit above body level on the bass side & just below body level on the treble side.
damn near perfect!

on another note, the music store told me that this guitar is an
"aim guitar"? something about 60 or so music stores placing a monster order with ibanez to get a better quantity discount & that when they do that, Ibanez makes a few "special" or just different models?
maybe just the finish. this one is sort of like a rough charcoal finish.
I haven't found another one like it on the web.
any ideas?

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , music store , neck angle , neck pickup , neck screws , neck shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode