Leveling my Edge pro - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Leveling my Edge pro

Hey guys,

I want to make sure i'm properly leveling my Edge pro. I've read the Ibanez Rules guide several times, but I tend to get really OCD with my tech work so I just wanted to ask some specific questions on it.

First and foremost, I want to make sure my knife edge is indeed level. I have pics attached.

Second, when adjusting my spring tension, so I adjust both springs equally and at the same time, or do is it a matter of adjusting springs based on what side of the tremolo (knife edge/rectangle on the side) needs to be level? For example, if my high E rectangle is a bit more diving into the guitar body relative to the low E, i'm assuming I need to loosen that side a bit more?

If anyone could provide input it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sH5LIml - Imgur.jpg (544.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg gcMl52O - Imgur.jpg (491.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg HMTGs0j - Imgur.jpg (481.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg O37z3Pb - Imgur.jpg (535.1 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Vendor

Re: Leveling my Edge pro

That would be an Edge, not edge pro.

Ignore the treble side knife, they're never the same as the bass side.

The trem is not going to twist if you put it in a vice so spring tension would do nothing. I always prefer equal tension on each spring.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

landscape pics are your friend here, with the camera lens just clearing the body looking from side, focal point on the edge not knobs, etc. ;-)

But it looks fine based on pics. Set both claw screws about even distance.

That's not an Edge Pro but the original Edge.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input. I think I got my technique down good. Tell me what you think!

EDIT: Hm...I can't seem to attach images for some reason.

Last edited by Omega139; 06-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I finally managed to get a photo upload:

Thanks for your patience guys. I'm still sharpening my technique.

https://imgur.com/a/MCMrOjQ
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Vendor

The angle is fine but your bridge pickup is too high.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Hmm...thanks for catching that. I set up my pickup heights based on some references I found online stating that the Low E side should be 2 mm at both the neck and bridge, and the high E being at 1.6 mm. I would appreciate your expert opinion on this my man.

Also, I just want to clarify something too. I have a bit trouble figuring out what specific part of the knife edge to use as a reference point for leveling the trem. I have a pic here highlighting the "half-rectangle" indentation, and was wondering if setting the top part of the indententation (top of the rectangle) parallel to the post (place where the trem bar goes) would be a good a good reference.

EDIT: Woops, forgot the pic https://imgur.com/7ADBe8f
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Vendor

Pick a side and stay consistent.

Do a pullup and the strings will probably lay of the pickups. Set it at least 1mm under the full pullup range, but the critical part is if the low E will intonate or not. Turn it down till it intonates and sounds clear over the 12th fret on the low E.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Pick a side and stay consistent.

Do a pullup and the strings will probably lay of the pickups. Set it at least 1mm under the full pullup range, but the critical part is if the low E will intonate or not. Turn it down till it intonates and sounds clear over the 12th fret on the low E.
By the way, here is the aforementioned pic of the reference point (forgot to post it) https://imgur.com/7ADBe8f

Also, i'm still waiting for my 12 o'clock coffee to kick in, so i'm having a hard time understanding your reply regarding the pickup brother

Are you saying to start by setting it to 1mm under the low E fretted at the 12th fret, then turn it down more until it intonates? What about the high E?

I'm actually really glad you mentioned the pickup, because I actually ran into some issues with my pickup height after I installed a new neck pickup. My strings get really damn close to the pickups when I play at higher frets (especially the high E), and i'm getting weird harmonics and my sustain is suffering.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Vendor

Do a full pullup on the trem.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do a full pullup on the trem.
Crap, well that's going to be an issue. I'm at my parents house for the summer and I forgot to pack my trem bar. Do you happen to have trem bars for sale?

Also, any other ways I can do this without a trem bar?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Vendor

Push down on the back of the trem till it bottoms.

No bar?! :crazy:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Hehe, well you know how it is, you always end up forgetting something when traveling.

I'd hate to be a hassle here, but I was wondering if you could just lay out the pickup height procedure in steps, because I just wanted some clarification on the process.

Let me make sure i'm getting this correctly:

Do a pullup on the trem
Set the pickup height to 1mm under the string when the trem is pulled up.
Then turn the pup height down until it intonates properly at the 12th fret, meaning, without the trem pulled up, just fretted at the 12th?

Also, same thing for both low and high E right?

Finally, i'm going to come off as a total noob here, but what exactly is a pullup on a trem?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Vendor

The opposite of a dive.

Lower the pickup until the low E string has clean clear notes above the 12th fret. Put your ear on the upper horn and listen.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The opposite of a dive.

Lower the pickup until the low E string has clean clear notes above the 12th fret. Put your ear on the upper horn and listen.
Hmmm...are you saying that I should play the 12th fret with the trem in a full pull up?

Tags
edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode