Licensed floyd rose problem in RG550EX - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Licensed floyd rose problem in RG550EX

I got a problem for a long time now with my floyd rose not being in tune.

Here's the deal:
I tune the guitar, lock the nut screws, fine tune through the fine tuners.

I pull the whammy bar backwards and release, check with my tuner and all
the strings are a bit higher, now i push the whammy bar for a dive and
release and check tuning again and now it's all back to being in tune.

If i tuned the strings after a whammy pull then when i do a dive it will
go out of tune and when i pull back it comes back to being in tune
and the reversed situation if i tuned the guitar after a whammy dive.

What can i do guys?

Thanks alot,
Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM

Re: Licensed floyd rose problem in RG550EX

Assuming the one end is a lock nut, and assuming the hardware is not worn such that the strings will slide under clamp, either the strings are getting hung up on the bridge saddles (hard to tell without a pic), or the bridge posts are worn such that the bridge is not coming back to rest at the same spot.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what you mean by hung up on the saddles and yes it's a lock nut.
I will check the bridge posts, Do you think it's possible to screw the posts
a bit in or out in order to get the side that isn't worn in front of the bridge blades?

Edit: Just read a bit about the issue on google and found out that it's mostly either the posts or
even more often the blades that needs to be sharpened or even replace the whole bridge.

Last edited by rg12; 05-30-2015 at 10:51 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM

most likely your floyd isn't sitting in the neutral position. This is the position where the knife edges of the trem hit the trem studs at exactly at 90 degree angel(or perpendicular with relation the studs)

I recommend you pop the springs off in the back, keeping them in the same order so you can put them back in the same order, and clean both your knife edges and studs. Then put the whole thing back together.

Until you find neutral you may have some tuning issues. You'll know you have hit neutral when the tuning is stable and when you pop the bar in a flutter motion the whole body of the guitar vibrates.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot i will try that as soon as i replace my strings
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Without seeing it for myself I won't be able to 100% identify the problem. I will agree with both Razzle & j.arledge that those are potential problem areas. Here are the things you should check.

The bridge may not be sitting fully in the neutral position. Cleaning the knife edges & studs and slight adjustments to the springs if needed will solve this. Also make sure the knife edges and studs aren't worn down. Light ware can be filed back straight if needed, if not replacement may be in order.

The sttrings may be slipping a little bit. Make sure eveything is locked down good at the locking nut and the string clamps on the saddle. Check for ware on these components also, if they are worn the strings won't be properly clamped down and will slip. If the nut is worn you'll probably have to replace it. If it's just worn clams you can replace those without replacing the whole nut. If the clamp on the saddles are worn replace them. Same thing as the nut, you can replace the clamps without having to replace the whole saddle unless the whole area is worn then the saddle may need replacing.

The strings may be catching on the saddles. Give the saddles a cleaning and check for any ware or knicks that may catch the strings. Minor knicks you may be able to file out, major ones you'll probably have to replace the saddle.

The hole the studs sit in may be ovaled a little bit due to ware and the studs are moving in it. If this is the case you'll probably need to plug the holes and redrill them.

*Quick note, anywhere I said you can file things back even this is only for very minor ware in which you just need to take out a small knick or ding that might be catching something. Don't do any major grinding on anything as that will screw up alignments then you'll may have to replace the entire bridge.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for summing it all up perfectly
I will replace my strings soon and remove the bridge for further investigation.

Thanks alot,
Roy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode