Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Licensed FR - Tuning to Oblivion

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dethroned 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My deep apologies for being unable to find the answer in the threads, and having tried everything and everywhere else to find out what's wrong. I think this may even be my first post on Jemsite.

I've been experiencing something with my Floyd like I never have before...

It's tuning into oblivion. I just keep having to tune up and up and up, and the bridge is raising higher and higher, ... it doesn't want to settle. It's a licensed FR, 3 spring config - \|/ , I've tried screwing the spring bracket in deeper, ... Tried just about everything.

Note: String gauge 10-46

Sincerely,

Desperate newbie

#4 ·
So potential culprits:

Bridge post height
Spring claw
Saddle Adjustments
Strings
Strings not resting in nut

Any other potential causes for the symptom of tuning up and up and up?

When I blocked the trem I was able to tune no problem, and it was flush with body as it should be. Soon as I released the trem block, it was back to being screwed.

#5 ·
"There is also the phenomenon of spring shock where while tuning the whole bridge just keeps raising and raising, this touches on it somewhat.

Ibanez' instructions on tuning [picking up after the instructions for changing strings] typed verbatim from the Ibanez "How to tune your floating tremolo system"

"There is a trick to it at this stage. With both non-tremolo and 'vintage' tremolo guitars you can bring each string to pitch independently of the other strings. This is not so with a floating tremolo! Though each saddle is separate from the others, they are all mounted together on a single, large plate. In order to get your strings evenly in tune, you will need to tune in "stages". What we mean by this is this: start with the low E string. Turn the tuner until the string is no longer slack, and then move on to the A string. Do this with all the strings. Remember, you're not trying to achieve any type of tuning yet - you're just pulling up all the slack. After this is done, begin with the low E again, and turn the tuner about half a turn, then move to the A string. Do this to all the strings. Then repeat it. Check yourself with a tuner. Eventually, you will get close to being in tune. When everything is close, go ahead and finesse your tuners so they are in tune. *Why is this lengthy process necessary,* you might ask, *and why can't I just tune normally?* Good question! The answer is that attempting to tune "normally" will result in a tremolo unit that has pulled up from the body to such an extent that the action is now about half an inch high, and totally unplayable. Doing it this way will keep your action low and tremolo in the right place."

If you already screwed up and the tail of your bridge is sticking way up in the air with the action 1/2" off the fretboard the only sure way to cure it is to crank in on the trem springs and start backing down the tuning. Be prepared for a real pain in the ass because as the springs adjust to the tension then you'll have to readjust them and retune the guitar, over and over until they settle [when they stop pulling the strings sharp or flat as they adjust].

Of course I cheat quit a bit when I work on guitars, I have a feel for what I can get away with, but every now and then I used to get the trem all whacked out and slacking the strings and a few hours rest before starting again is the answer to getting it back in order but I'll usually just plug forward cranking on the springs until they're way too tight and then backing them off as they start reacting pulling the strings sharper and sharper, all the while I'm constantly tuning the tuners. It's a mess, a real pain, takes forever, tough, deal with it, just get it done! ;)

I only restring a guitar with the bridge blocked to it's full forward position now. When I take the slack out of the strings and unblock I'm usually far too sharp and have to detune into correct pitch. I've NEVER had string shock working this way and highly recommend it."

-Rich Harris @ Ibanezrules.com

#6 ·
Thank's for such an awesome reply Rich. I just wanted to confirm with you, at the start of the post you said 'Spring shock', and at the end 'String shock'. Just wanted to know if I'm looking at possibly wrecked springs or just another string change?

The only other thing I can think of, is when the top and bottom E strings are tuned up, they don't seem to rest in the nut groove base. They look like they're climbing along the teeth a bit. eg: \./ versus \'/ (though, actually touching the edge of the teeth). I string from inside out so no worries there. Last night I thought I started getting close when I put the locking mechanisms on the nut still loose enough for the strings to pass easily. ....then at 2am... POP! :(

I really appreciate all of the help with this guys. Once I figure the cause out with all of this assistance, I'll be sure to document the cause / solution.

And yeah, my method to the madness has been to try tuning each string just a bit at a time so they all tune together. I was really surprised when I blocked the trem, tuned, and removed the block though, that the battle ensued and it wasn't any easier to bring them to standard together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.