limited range on fine tuner (edge trem) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

limited range on fine tuner (edge trem)

Hi,
I've just come across a problem on my Jem,
The top E fine tuner works ok, apart from a limit on the amount it will raise the pitch.
There is plenty of range to look at (about 1/3 left) but it won't turn anymore as if the saddle is jammed on something.
btw the other tuner have full range of movement.

Before I take it to bits to have a look, has anyone come across this before... anything inparticular I should look out for?

Thanks
John P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Vendor

Is the saddle too far forward that the tailpiece of the saddle can't flex to it's full range?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Rich.

I'm rehearsing tomorrow so I'm leaving any string removal until after that, but the saddle does appear to be further forward than the others.

Problem is the intonation is very close (at a quick check) to being spot on, so I may have a choice between limited tuning range and intonation being right.
(assuming this turns out to be the problem)

Here's hoping that when I try adjusting the saddle postion I find a positon that is a reasonalbe compromise...

Thanks
John P.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Vendor

I think I was being dumb, I think the saddle has to be too far back to have the limited range [something in the back of my head about getting correct intonation on low b strings on 7's and getting very limited fine tune range]

I'd just pull the saddle off and have a look. Pull out the fine tuner and inspect. Push down on the tail see if it has movement, etc. You'll figure it out
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich,
I finally got round to having a proper look this morning, sure enough the position of the saddle was restricting the movement.
A bit of fiddling and I've managed to find a position where the intonation is ok and the fine tuner has almost full range. hurrah!

Thanks again.

John P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode