LO TRS II TREM POSTS - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

LO TRS II TREM POSTS

i was needing to know where i could get anchor bolts that will fit in the factory installed anchor base. i replaced the TRS II with a OFR that i have and i noticed that the posts were worn down a lot. if anyone could help me out with this i would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:15 AM

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

i looked on stewmac.com but i really don't want to mod the wood in any way. would anchor bolts from stewmac fit into the factory anchor base?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 AM

Here´s some good reading from the forum:

To retrofit an Edge/LoPro in a TRS/OFR guitar:

The Edge/LoProEdge will not directly swap into your Ibanez (or other guitar) with a TRS/TRS-II/OFR. A few modifications will typically be required

Tremolo Routing Changes - You will need to increase the length of the cavity (in front of the posts and behind the fine tuners), you might have to widen the cavity and you will have to rout the cavity deeper for full pull-up. This is probably more of a headache than it's worth, since the body finish of an already "cheap" guitar will be effected. Due to manufacturing tollerances, it is sometimes possible to "shoehorn" the Edge/LoPro into the Korean ibanez, but this is the exception, not the rule.
Tremolo Posts - All these locking trems have the same post-to-post measurements. However, the Edge equipped guitars have body anchors that accept the Edge posts which use a set-screw to further stabilize the post to the body anchor. This is a major improvement and something the TRS/OFR guitars lack. It keeps the post from wobbling or moving in the body anchor. The Edge posts do not fit the TRS body anchors. In order to install the improved Edge posts in your TRS equipped guitar, the TRS body anchors will have to be REMOVED (drilled out typically) and replaced with the Edge anchors (glued into the body) before you can use the Edge post with locking set screw.

Best Choice Option - If you have a TRS/TRS-II equipped Ibanez guitar, you can install the Floyd Rose Original/Pro without any modifications to your guitar. That is the easiest and best alternate.
Useful Forum Topics to Reference

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4887
http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4918
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

i know that i can replace the lo trs II with an ofr. i have the ofr in the guitar and it works but i need posts to replace the worn trs post without having to mod the holes for the post. i read that post a while ago and that is what made me want to replace the trs II with an ofr that i had lying around the house. all i need is new post for the existing anchor base in my rg.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:53 AM

Mighty Mite is the Korean parts retail division of the Cort factory that made the TRS. They have studs for sale that should be the exact same studs you have. They will come with anchors but you can toss them. I would also say that with the new trems, you might want to get a couple extra studs because I think the new trems use a new stud design. Maybe those exact studs will be obsolete.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM

The TRS trems use the same post's as schaller/jackson/mighty mite trem systems,It's the fine thread type right? not the course thread found on edge posts

Just search for floyd trem posts,I got a pair off e*ay in the US for $3 inc shipping to the UK

Rob

p.s. that was including anchors too !
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:07 PM

If hte posts are worn, just move them both a half turn next time you restring.

Problem solved.

It wont change the action enough to significantly throw off the intonation at all.

I would suggest getting some old Edge studs in there anyway, though. But you'll have to drill the holes out for Edge studs, which is somethnig I've yet to do, despite having the studs ready for installation.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:20 PM

That works if the studs are just worn from years of use at the same height. As a matter of fact, the contact point is much smaller than a half turn. Its just about 1mm wide, give or take, so you can get away with about 1/8 turn. But if the studs are worn because the action was adjusted against a bad knife edge of a lo-trs for example, there can be rings around it or a continuous distortion line all the way around the knife edge. Then you have to replace the stud.

Tags
equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd trem , locking trems , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode