lo trs replacement... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Question lo trs replacement...

so i want to switch out my lo trs II bridge, but don't wanna spend 170 bucks on an OFR, so i was thinking on a replacement from guitar fetish. they claim to have hardened steel knife edges/baseplates, and come equipped with a brass big block. are these any good? and if not please provide a link to something that is. thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: lo trs replacement...

Your best bet is to pick up an Edge--there are a few in the classifieds here for pretty cheap.
Then head on over to project guitar for the conversion instructions.
http://projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 AM

I've never seen one of those before but I'm skeptical,you know the old "you get what you pay" for cliche. Also I don't think the trem is a good place to go cheap. You can get a Gotoh at Beyond Eleven for $130-140 depending on chrome or black. You get a brass block and the locking studs and inserts with it. Oh ya, and a locking nut you can sell on *bay for maybe 20 bucks. Just the locking studs and inserts are worth $40.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 6

An added expense to consider for the Gotoh is that you'll need a 32 mm block, if your guitar has a recessed trem. They are available. As well, you might need to make some modifications to the trem route to get the Gotoh to fit -- not sure on that, but it is a possibility.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

well thanks for the help guys! the reason i was looking at guitar fetish to begin with is because a local tech was telling me that their quality was very good. i'll look into the resources you guys gave me, and tell you my final decision.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Ya, the Gotoh block is a little taller,I just leave the cover off. I put a Gotoh in a RG320 body without any routing. Not 100% sure but I think the 320 had a lo trs trem, I bought just the body for a project.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Your best bet is to pick up an Edge--there are a few in the classifieds here for pretty cheap.
Then head on over to project guitar for the conversion instructions.
http://projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm
don't feel like routing. if i were to do anything that would cost that much tho, it would be an OFR/ good LFR
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 AM

Reviews: 120

Well both the Edge/Lo Pro Edge and Gotoh trems are considered the top trems along side the OFR.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

so i spoke to a few people that have had experience with the bridges i was initially looking at. he was a tech that had ordered all sorts of parts from there, including these bridges, strat bridges, pickups, and guitars. the bridges accept OFR parts, including the D-tuna, which i was planning on installing. thanks for all the help! guess i'm going with guitar fetsih
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

the only question left to ask is, should i do black or chrome hardware on this rgt42
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
the only question left to ask is, should i do black or chrome hardware on this rgt42
I'd go black, but be careful what bridge you buy -- the Guitarfetish bridge will NOT fit a lo-pro rout unless you are extremely lucky. The string lock screws are too long.

As well, if the bridge is set up to float, a D-Tuna does not work. It requires the bridge to be set up to dive bomb only. You can get devices to block a recessed trem to dive bomb only if you plan on going that route.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I'd go black, but be careful what bridge you buy -- the Guitarfetish bridge will NOT fit a lo-pro rout unless you are extremely lucky. The string lock screws are too long.

As well, if the bridge is set up to float, a D-Tuna does not work. It requires the bridge to be set up to dive bomb only. You can get devices to block a recessed trem to dive bomb only if you plan on going that route.
I have a tremol-no installed at the moment, so that solves one problem. but when you say a lo-pro rout does that include a lo-trs? because an original floyd fits the lo-trs and the has the same length
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM

If the original Floyd fits, great. I haven't personally seen that done, however.

What you should do to be sure is measure the cavity, and measure a Gotoh including the string lock screws extended out to their farthest point.

I have one of the FRT lo-pro-style bridges (one of these -- http://www.gpdusa.com/product.cgi?gr...&product=27251 ). I measured the route and contacted Guitarfetish, and they measured their bridge -- it would not fit. I bought a Gotoh, and it doesn't fit -- Of the top of my head, I think it was a full 10 mm I would need to route out of my guitar. This might be different for a lo TRS, but better to measure than be sorry.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks, that was really helpful! i just need to contact guitar fetish now and measure.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

it appears the actual cavity is 3 inches (76mm) from front to back

Tags
guitar fetish , lo trs ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode