Locking nut neck on fixed trem body. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Locking nut neck on fixed trem body.

Has anyone ever put a neck with a locking nut on a body that had a fixed trem or string thru body? I'm wondering if it effects the intonation or anything else for that matter.

I've always wanted to take my RGA and put a maple boarded JEM or really nice maple boarded prestige neck on it. The only problem; 99.9% of those necks have locking nuts. It would be easier to get a custom neck made, but I'd like to see if it's doable with a real Ibanez neck before I consider those options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Locking nut neck on fixed trem body.

Yep it's fine as long as the necks in question have the same neck joints.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:35 AM
Vendor

I saw a bolt on conversion nut to regular nut somewhere in the last few years, I only paid enough attention to notice but it does exist.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 AM

It would be impossible to tune. Locking the nut will pull the guitar out of tune and you'd be screwed with no fine tuners. Locking nuts also don't function great unlocked. Way too much friction which means tuning stability would suffer.

It probably wouldn't be extremely hard to get someone to make a small block of maple of something to glue in there and then cut it for a standard nut.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 PM

If you don't like absolutely perfect intonation exactly all of the time, adjusting the intonation even a miniscule bit on a guitar with a locking nut causes quite a bit change in string tension, so if you're using a strat style bridge that has screw adjust intonation, or something similar, you could use that as a (slightly) quicker method of tuning rather than unlocking the locking nut.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

What if I wouldn't lock it down or use one of those conversion nuts? Maybe just a set of locking tuners, but otherwise leaving the locking/clamp down part completely off the neck itself?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 PM

It's about more than just the locking tuners. A locking nut is meant to be locked down. That's where you get the great tuning stability from. With the nut unlocked, you will get all sorts of friction from the nut and string tree and the tuning stability would go to hell.

My $0.02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode