locking nut replacement - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

locking nut replacement

Hi guys, Iím new to the forum, great place for info, forgive me for the long story and thanks very much in advance for any help.

Iíve had an s470 (zr trem and wizard II neck, 43mm nut) for a few months now, and I could never get the locking nut to actually lock. I could still tune with the headstock tuners even when the pads were fully tightened. I looked to the forum for advice and found some answers. I lowered the retaining bar and grinded the groves caused by the strings smooth, nothing helped so I just figured I was being a wuss and not tightening the pads enough.

Well you guessed it I tightened too much and stripped the nut. Now that its time to get a replacement I was wondering if I should get a nut from a jem or other higher priced ibanez instead of the same one that I broke. Would it fit my wizard II as long as I ordered a 43mm nut? Would it be of better quality metal and not have the same problems? Any recommendations for which nut to get?

Thanks again for any answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Vendor

The 470 does get lower quality hardware but that shouldn't have kept it from working. The Jem nut is the same radius and width and better quality. I've got them in stock, email me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Hmm.. odd. I had a locking nut from an rg270 on my saber and it worked perfectly. Could it be that your locking pads were somehow installed upside-down or something?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 12:02 AM

My Lo TRS locking nut is the same...

You REALLY have to crank em down to keep the strings from going flat when you detune it via the actual tuner... Any sort of pull up or dive tends to go out ever so slightly, diving the treble strings go SLIGHTLY sharp, and pull up and they go SLIGHTLY flat, but they go very close to back where it was originally. I am certain this is the nut because you get the same behavior by manipulating the tuners alone, so I doubt it's some sort of weird double-neutral problem. I've checked for that possiblity, you really have to pull up pretty hard to get it to come back in, and it only goes flat on really deep dives.

But again, it's obvious to me the nut isn't really holding the strings quite as securely as they shoudl, and they're definitely on correctly. I'm considering getting an Edge locking nut....

Tags
locking nut , retaining bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode