Locking nut replacement Universe777bk - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Locking nut replacement Universe777bk

Hey guys,

I have been bothered by a sitar like rattling noise when playing the open high B and sometimes G string.

Shimming the nut and replacing strings didn´t help at all and there seems to be plenty of space between the strings and frets.
Looking at the nut, I have noticed some worn in groves that must have developed over the course of 10 years.

I live in Germany and tried to find a replacement for the locking nut but it seems to be quite a bit more difficult than I hoped.
Meinl (German distributor for Ibanez) doesn´t seem to have it in stock and wants to order one for over 100€!

There are some other locking nuts for 7 String Ibanez guitars and I wondered if they might work just as well? I just don´t see why I should pay well over 100 bucks when there are other Ibanez locking nuts that may work just as well for under 75€ or so.

My Ibanez Universe is a 2006 Model and thus should have the UV Prestige Neck.
I have looked up its specs on the Ibanez Wikia but I am not allowed to post links since I don´t have 5 posts on the forum yet -_-
Would it be possible to look for another current production model neck with identical specs and just buy its locking nut instead?

Last edited by Jackoclock; 03-10-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Re: Locking nut replacement Universe777bk

That's a bottom mount, right? I don't see why you couldn't use one from an RG7620, very common model.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the screw heads can be seen on the back of the neck/headstock.

The regular RG7 Neck (the one which can be found in said RG7620) has different dimensions than the UV Prestige Neck.

The RG7 J Custom however, seems to have the same Specs as the UV Prestige Necks...
Does no one have any experience with this?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:22 PM

The RG7620 uses the same bridge as the Universe so the radius should be the same. Sure the neck profile might be different but I would think the nut is the same.

Have patience regarding other responses, it's only been a few hours since your first post.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Did you try pulling the string to one side of the string slot (in the nut) as you locked-down the pressure pad? Try that. So, to try and describe this...

Just before you lock down the pad, gently put a little pressure on one side of the string to push it in that direction of the string groove. Hold that position and lock the pressure pad down. Is the buzz gone?

If not, loosen the pressure pad and do the exact same thing, but push the string toward the OTHER side of the string slot. Hold it, lock the pad down.

If neither works and your string still buzzes, then proceed with looking for a new nut.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Vendor

All current thru mount 7 nuts are over $100.

To rule out the nut push down on the string with a pick right as it breaks off the nut. If it goes away it's the nut. Try Webs answer.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!
I have done this with my pick and fingernail in the past. The buzzing disappears.
So I will have to look into a new nut...
I was experimenting with aluminium foil by putting tiny pieces between the string and the nut itself to create some sort of "padding". That kind of helped for a while but ended up being only a temporary fix.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Speaking of aluminum foil...

Something else that's worked for me in the past is using skinny strips of aluminum foil to actually alter the front-to-back angle of the nut. So, if you can imagine this: I actually shimmed just the front side of the nut (where the strings enter the fretboard) with thin strips of aluminum foil.

Now, this particular nut is tilted slightly backwards. I just kept stacking foil until the buzz stopped. Won't work for every case, but thank god it worked in this one. Finding a replacement nut was impossible at the time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackoclock View Post
Thanks for all the ideas!
I have done this with my pick and fingernail in the past. The buzzing disappears.
So I will have to look into a new nut...
I was experimenting with aluminium foil by putting tiny pieces between the string and the nut itself to create some sort of "padding". That kind of helped for a while but ended up being only a temporary fix.
try to coat the area where the strings sits with a thin layer of "metal" epoxy glue. Make a new groove if needed.

Tags
locking nut , replace , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode