Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners

Does anybody have experience with using a traditional nut and locking tuners instead of a locking nut on a trem or floating-trem guitar?

I have seen various threads dance around this question. Trem saddles can be adjusted (within reason) using shims to get the right radius. Locking nuts seem to offer far fewer choices for radius, and there's no shimming trick to fix the nut radius. Locking tuners might be an option, but I haven't used them, and am somewhat skeptical about how well they really hold.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:22 AM

Re: Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners

They work reasonably well. I had a Blazer, with a Wilkinson trem, graphite nut, and locking tuners, and it held it's tune fairly well. I could do full dive bombs, and still be in tune, most of the time. Not nearly as well as a full locking system.

I also had a Strat, with Schaller Floyd, roller nut, and locking tuners. It didn't hold it's tuning as well as the Wilkinson did.

You also have to worry about the strings popping up out of the nut, when you do crazy divebombs.

I've also used a few other guitars with locking tuners, and my verdict is that while they work, nothing is as reliable as a locking nut/trem combination.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 PM

I think locking-tuners are great for use on hard-tail guitars. I've got a set of Sperzels on a guitar with a tunomatic bridge and they're fantastic on that.

As far as using them on a guitar with an Ibanez/Floyd type trem I just wouldn't consider it. There's no substitute for a locking-nut and I don't see why anybody wouldn't want one on a guitar that's got a fine-tunable trem system on it.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Reviews: 1

You also have to remember that strings tend to strech and thats where the locking nut is useful...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Arrow Re: Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners

Locking tuners are good for none trem users and drop tunings, locking nut for trem users,
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:06 PM

actually i have a floyd eqipped Carvin with just the locking tuners. it has held tune better than any of my locking nut guitars, since day one. and i had to change the strings and adjust the trem angle when i first got it. maybe it's just me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 PM

Reviews: 7

speaking from recent experience, I think locking tuners are just as good, if not better than a locking nut. I like the combo so much I'm fitting my MH-1000 with a Wilkinson VS-100N (full floating)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Talking Re: Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners

Locking nuts are my personal favourite for my lead guitar stuff, as I leave that as standard tuning and its absolutely solid. But for my rythms and drop guitars locking tuners as they are just as solid but more versatile for tuning. But If your a bit of both you could go mad and put locking tuners on a lock nut and floy guitar lol, now that would be the best of both worlds.
Regards
Jonny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM

IME locking tuners and a slick nut are almost, but not quite, as stable as a locking nut. Definitely easier to deal with, but on my latest Carvin neck I got the locking tuners, and within a few months added a behind the nut lock.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 PM

I like em but after having my friend's Carvin guitar fail with it I do not intend on getting them. Only 1 year into the guitars life the tuner failed and locked up and wouldn't move at all. Carvin (being the fantasticlly, great and wonderful company they are) replaced the part in full including shipping. The crappy part to me was the fact that he was missing a string (d string to be exact) for like 10 days. After that experiance I'd rather not deal with the locking tuners and just deal with straight up regular tuners or a locking nut.

Taking out of account of the failure to the tuners... I'd say, from experiance, that the locking tuners are only suitable for Wilkinson or vintage style trems... a Floyd Rose bridge is just way overkill for that kind of stuff.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 AM

Post Re: Locking Nut vs. Locking Tuners

First: Locking Tuners are great for lazy people, The strings don't slip.
Second: Once the nuts locked, don't matter what happens regarding the string slipping, it's pretty much dead locked.
Third: Only use a locking nut with a floyd, no others
Fourth: Only use locking machine heads with Vintage trems and Fixed bridges
Regards
Jonny
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Unless, you can find those replacement fine tuner saddles that Samson used to make for Strat trems. Then a locking nut would be great with a Strat trem.

Tags
fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , graphite nut , lock nut , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , matic bridge , strat trem , trem guitar , vintage style trem , vintage trem , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode