Locking Tuners - to replace my gotoh tuners - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Locking Tuners - to replace my gotoh tuners

I want to replace the Gotoh tuning machines on my PGM with some locking tuners BUT I don't wanna drill any extra holes on the neck

Which locking tuners can fit the gotoh space perfectly?
I've checked Gotoh homepage and found that they have Locking tuners that can replace their normal tuners without any extra holes. However, I don't know where can I order them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 11:10 AM

Locking Tuners

Why do you need locking tuners? *Don't you have a locking nut? *Or are they the same price anyway?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Locking Tuners

the PGM90 is a fixed bridge guitar
It doesn't have a locking nut........
It stay in tune quite well.......but I want it to be better
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 08:55 PM

Locking Tuners

Whoops; my bad. *also, I sounded a little...er, interrogatory... in my other post. *I didn't mean to.

In that case, yeah, locking ones are just the ticket.

Gotohs are 10mm and Sperzels are 3/8" (about 9.5mm). *So the Sperzels would be slightly loose. *You could probably get away with it, but I'd probably opt for the Gotohs if they're the same quality (which I dunno).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:17 AM

Locking Tuners

You'd be best replacing them with Gotoh's for the snugness.

Gotoh's locking tuners are the "Magnum Lock" I believe.

If you're not worried about the 0.4mm thinner difference, then you can also use Schaller's M6 Locking tuners.
They come in 2 variations, the Bottom Mount lock mechanism (like the sperzel) and the Top Mount lock (which I prefer)

Either would work.

Steve
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:42 AM

Locking Tuners

Be aware that you WILL have to drill holes to install Sperzels. *(I just had to do this to my PRS!) *Most tuners use a small screw on the bottom corner of each tuner to keep the tuner from rotating. *Sperzels use a little pin to do the same thing, but it's at the top of the tuner. *You have to drill a hole for that pin to install them, and the hole from the screws on your old tuners will show.

I have a guitar with the Gotoh locking tuners. *I prefer Sperzels for their ease of use, but the Gotoh ones work just fine. *I think the Gotohs would be your best bet. *I've never seen them for sale seprately though. *I don't think Ibanez is still using these on any of their guitars, but you might be able to order them as a replacement part from an Ibanez dealer. *But a left-handed set in cosmo black might be really hard to come by...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Locking Tuners

oh
yeh
check my other posts
I am thinking of changing all the hardwares on the PGM90 to chrome.........
needing someone to modify the pic for me
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 07:31 AM

Locking Tuners

Quote:
cowcowcow on 8:49 am on Jan. 14, 2002
oh
yeh
check my other posts
I am thinking of changing all the hardwares on the PGM90 to chrome.........
needing someone to modify the pic for me
Send the pic you want modified to me and I'll customize it in any way you want

[email protected]

Tony
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Locking Tuners

Quote:
Be aware that you WILL have to drill holes to install Sperzels. *(I just had to do this to my PRS!) *Most tuners use a small screw on the bottom corner of each tuner to keep the tuner from rotating.
yeh, I know
There are already little holes for stabling the Gotoh tuners already
I'm looking for locking tuners that fit those little holes so that I don't have to drill another set of small holes on my neck

Tags
fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , gotoh tuners , ibanez dealer , locking nut , locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode