Locking tuners vs. locking nut for flush mount floyd rose trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Locking tuners vs. locking nut for flush mount floyd rose trem

The RG project I'm working on came equiped with a fender style tremolo, the one that's mounted with 6 screws. I want to upgrade that bridge to a flush mount (non-floating) floyd rose. I only do light bending with a tremolo, I very rarely do any major dive bombs or anything like that. The neck has a standard nut. My question is do you think locking tuners would be enough to provide tuning stability on a flush mount floyd or would I need to retrofit a locking nut on the neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 AM

Re: Locking tuners vs. locking nut for flush mount floyd rose trem

It would do a good job with a good set of locking tuners - plus be sure the nut cutting is done very well, with adequate room to avoid binding of strings in the slots.
... plus, I highly recommend Big Bends Nut Sauce or a similar product to lube the nut slots as well...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM

It'll work, and a few fairly well known guys (Chris Broderick being the best known) prefer this setup. If it helps give you confidence, if you order a Carvin with a Floyd, their default option is no locking nut.

That said - if you ever DO start doing a lot of huge dive bombs, you're going to have to be careful about the strings popping out of the nut and potentially not popping back in when you release.

It's also a lot of routing - there are some great 6-point trems out there, so before you dive in, maybe look at the Gotoh Wilkinson options and the Hipshot options? Wilkinson's VSVG might be a great option for a better "vintage" trem:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...loVRoCdSTw_wcB

Hipshot makes a good 6-point trem, too:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/car...t_detail&p=344
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
The RG project I'm working on came equiped with a fender style tremolo, the one that's mounted with 6 screws. I want to upgrade that bridge to a flush mount (non-floating) floyd rose. I only do light bending with a tremolo, I very rarely do any major dive bombs or anything like that. The neck has a standard nut. My question is do you think locking tuners would be enough to provide tuning stability on a flush mount floyd or would I need to retrofit a locking nut on the neck?
Locking tuners are great but not for a Floyd.

Yes you can have a locking Floyd bridge and locking tuners but many may ask "why" and for good reason.

If you go too far with trem, or even just moderately, then the strings will fall out of nut and Floyd actually has that much travel unlike the Bigsby I use with locking tuners.

I say go for the locking nut so you can do what the Floyd was best designed for. I briefly had a Washburn Wonderbar, similar in travel to Floyd Rose, and between nuts (behind nut locking nut), I just used the regular nut and it popped out all the time. When I finally got a locking nut I felt so relieved.

If you go locking tuners, the bridges Drew has above sound like an excellent choice.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 07-31-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM

Really, the Wilkinson VS100 is one of the best trems I've ever used, and the VSVG seems to incorporate many of its design elements.

...though, the more I think about this... Considering the amount of routing you'll have to do to get a Floyd flush-mounted (or, really, even top-mounted, with just the two trem studs), why not just route the neck for a locking nut? I'd think that would be an easier mod than installing the trem studs needed for even a top-mount Floyd.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Let me clarify real quick: when I said flush mounted I ment directly on top of the body, not in a cavity. Some people call it flush mount others top mount... which is the correct term?

Here a pic of what I'm meaning:

The wilkinson VS100 is right there on top as a bridge to use too. I have it on a couple on my other guitars & I really do like it. Weather I go with a floyd or the wilkinson the amount of work will be the same. I'll still have to fill the screw holes and drill for the studs. The trem cavity should accomidate either one with no major modification other than what I already said. I was leaning toward the floyd mainly because on an RG it just looks more "correct" to me.

My main concern was if a floyd required a locking nut regardless of the way it was mounted. From the replies so far and the little bit I use a trem it seem like a floyd rose + locking tuners will be fine. (Assuming I stick with that idea, I may change my mind and go with the VS100). Another factor on which bridge I go with is what kind of deal I can get on them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:24 PM

Given your situation I'd just go with the VS100 anyway - you're not looking to do extreme dive bombs, and the VS100 is very stable in my experience (I've had one on my Strat for 5-7 years now) and has the best arm holder I've ever played (though Floyd Rose now offers a comparable aftermarket one).

But yeah - that's generally referred to as a "top mount" Floyd - the thing you'll want to keep in mind when doing this if you go Floyd is that generally guitars with a top-mount floating bridge have a sharper neck angle than a recessed trem, allowing the Floyd to sit higher off the body to allow pull-back. It's tough to tell from this picture, but there's a bit of a shadow under the trem - the whole thing is hovering off the body, allowing it to float.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Is this for the RG120 project your doing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Either way, locking nut or locking tuners, Floyd or Wilkinson, it will be fun to see how your project turns out.

I started with the idea of a cam Kahler with locking nut but then went away from the dive bombing trems to get something much more subtle.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Is this for the RG120 project your doing?
Yeah, this is going to be for that RG project.

After giving it some more thought I think I'm going to go for the wilkinson bridge and some locking tuners. In the long run I think will be less headaches to install and when I get everything together and set it up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Yeah, this is going to be for that RG project.

After giving it some more thought I think I'm going to go for the wilkinson bridge and some locking tuners. In the long run I think will be less headaches to install and when I get everything together and set it up.
Take this with a pinch of salt, but what I'd really like to see you do is a Tight End-R bridge (not the regular tight-end) with locking Gotoh magnums. At $100 new from Rich, the tight end-R is a SEXY looking bridge and would probably adapt to the RG with ease. It also just the right size to cover up all of the old bridge mount holes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode