longer string life? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

longer string life?

This might be a silly question, but it's not something that really came to mind before I started breaking strings all the time.

On double locking tremelo guitars, when a string breaks at the bridge, is there any problem with simply loosening the tuner, and locking the broken end of the string into the bridge, then retuning the string? Up till now, I've just been replacing the string with a brand new one.

Using the same string would really extend string life (especially on the high strings), perhaps?

tell me what you think. Thanks!
-Jeff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM

The string clamps will have weakened the string where it is held. You'll have a kink in the string, probably causing buzzes, and it will break very quickly.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:24 PM

It works, and it depends on how tight you lock your nut, how sharp the angle is to your string tree, and how much abuse you've given the string at the first few frets, too. If you do a lot of low fret bending you've weakened the string at the nut contact point. If you over tighten the nut it smashes the strings. Usually I tighten the nut enough to grip the string but not compress it. I'm not doing "slack the strings" dive bombs. But it definitely works. Either way it should always be strong enough to finish a gig.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

In my case, it's an ibanez Jem so the strings basically go straight back to the tuners with minimal angle. I can understand how the fatter strings would be kinked more easily (it's really noticable at the saddle), but it'd be nice to be able to do this to extend the life of even the unwound strings (they break a lot more often).

-J
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 01:34 PM

I just cut off enough that the strings dont have kinks in them anymore. Ive never experienced any problems tonal or otherwise. Heavy playing *four plus hours a day* will at least in my case render strings pretty much useless in around two weeks or so. But thats just in extreme cases my sweat really corodes metal badly.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 06:12 AM

if i break a string while practicing at home I tend to restring the whole guitar. Reusing broken strings is kinda useless. Sure if they were like $5 a string. But they're not.

But to extend the string life I wipe them down after each play and spray on some Stuart Box Kwik Fret (spray on a cloth then wipe the strings down). Makes them nice n' slippery, and eucalyptus smelling. I've also found it helps them last longer (corrode less).

wil..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I'm not really turned off by the cost of strings (if I was that cheap I wouldn't be playing a jem!) but I HATE the setup, the stretching the string out, the tuning, etc. I didnt' realize that string lubricant actually extends the life of the string...does it? I have Tone Finger-Ease...it's probably the same sorta stuff as Stuart Box Kwik Fret.

My strings always break at the saddle, so I'm not sure how string lubricant can really extend life...correct me if I'm wrong. I didnt' think strings broke because of corrosion because your fingers don't touch where the string breaks anyways (the saddle).

-Jeff.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:38 PM

i use to use finger-ease... it's not the same as kwikfret...
I found that finger-ease dries out my fretboard, and makes the strings feel dead very quickly.

If they're always breaking at the saddle, I'd suggest seeing if you can smooth out the saddles (if there are any sharp bits where the strings sit), and maybe take a lead pencil to the bit where the strings sit (use the graphite as a bit of a lubricant).

wil..
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Vendor

Strings on a whammy equipped guitar should ALWAYS break at the saddle. I'd be worried if they broke anywhere else
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Rich, I agree, that's why I was thinking that a busted string doesn't have to be replaced, it could just be loosened, re-clamped at the bridge, and tuned up again. But it sounds like people are saying that the nut clamp will kink the string and weaken it at this point...That makes sense to me, but I still think the weakest point will be at the saddle.

What do you think? is it a good idea to loosen, re-clamp, re-tune? or would you replace the whole string every time?

-Jeff.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Vendor

I did it for years on my Radius, saame reason, didn't feel like going through the whole routine, but, the string will stretch a little so do it before you lock up
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:08 AM

mine sometimes break there... i guess i'm just weird.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 PM

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Re: longer string life?

I actually broke one of my high E strings on a double locker at the (locking) nut once, but only because I had broken the high E a few times and when they break they tend to bend down there by the nut, from the shock I guess. So it finally bent too many times after too many reinsertions and snapped.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 PM

Re: longer string life?

I used to do it all the time when practising in my bedroom,just put new ones on for a gig. I find now my JEM doesn't seem to break strings like i have in the past,so it's not an issue

Tags
equipped guitar , high strings , ibanez jem , locking nut , string tree , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode