Looking for a part.. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a part..

Hi

I am looking for the black plastic part that holds the five-way switch in s series ibanez guitars. Mine is broken. I think i tightened it too much.
I've put it together with some superglue for now.

Here is a pic:

It is the black plastic piece between the volume and tone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:17 PM

Plastic part? No idea-try Rich

But for the real question, why does your S look like the edges are rounded off? Did you do that? It's almost like you have JS edges on the Saber body. If you did it, it looks great and I'm going to copy it. If it came that way or if the shadows are making me see things, then I appologize.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:03 PM

agreed. You strip that one yourself? that is HOT.

-D
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

It is that plastic piece that holds the 5-way switch. Its like 2 inches long and about half inch wide. They have to have that plastic piece bec s series are so thin and with that plastic the switch stays kinda like outside of the guitar.

As for the rounded edges. This is a japanese s1220 walnut with the prestige neck. I rounded off the edges and tung oiled the body. It needs a transparent pickguard like the one on Satch's chromeboy though. Check the wood first before doing it. If it is basswood or it has this ~2mm thin maple top i wouldnt recommend it.

this is my favorite pic:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:09 PM

that looks awesome. Ibanez should sell the s series like that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:19 AM

Fantastic! I've always loved the high end Soundgear basses, and they have a lot of similar contours borrowed from the Radius/JS shape. Your S is almost a combination of the Soundgear and the S. I have an extra S body here, and I now know exactly what to do with it. I thought about putting some more dramatic PRS style contours into it, but this is much better. It looks very comfortable. Still no help on the plastic part. It's too bad your guitar is so cool that we're all getting sidetracked from helping you find your part!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 AM

I think that's the first S-series guitar I've actually really liked the look of
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:37 PM

dare i say it looks better than the radius. Perhaps the best mod ive ever seen even :O Gives me a new reason to buy a beatup s series on fleabay
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 02:03 PM

Again, I'm being totally unhelpful, but I just thought I'd let you know that I started working on stripping and rounding an extra S body today. Thanks for the inspiration. It's an old one with 3 mini toggles. So I won't have the plastic part problem, but we'll see if the wood looks any good under that paint! So far around the neck joint it looks good.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I think i wont be able to find that plastic piece so i decided to make my own either from ebony or from rosewood. It would be perfect if i can find the wood matching the headstock or the fingerboard.

Keep me informed about your s body btw..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM

I was about to suggest the the same thing.........make one. You seem to be quite crafty..............using ebony would look better than that cheap plastic anyway. I could get you that part but, I live in Canada and that would just complicate things. You have a great guitar there and I know it will only look better with the wooden trimmed switch. Good Luck!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 09:24 AM

i'm after a couple of those plastic S switch holders as well, to replace a cracked one and for some custom S7 bodies i'll be routing this summer. the info i got off the japanese Ibanez page calls that part SWITCH COVER PLATE 4PT1S5B . i don't think Rich has these in stock at Ibanez Rules, but you should give him a try. Ibanez dealers should be able to order them as well.

you could certainly carve a piece of wood to look like that plastic thing from the top, but the bottom has threaded posts for two nuts inside the control cavity. i'm not sure there'd be enough thickness to somehow attach bolts to a sliver of wood like that.

the roundover on your S body looks sweet. you probably did that by hand, right, since a router bit wouldn't evenly follow the arching top? i plan to make my custom S7 bodies thicker than stock to increase the overall amount of wood, but i think i'll try that roundover on the edges as well.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I think i will be able to screw the part from the cavity. Two short screws going into ebony from the cavity should be no problem. Even now, i have no problem with the switch, it just looks ugly with all that cracks and stuff..

I did the edges by hand. I dont think any router can do such work.

Tags
ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , mini toggle , neck joint , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode