Looking for RG3550MZ refinishing recommendations - ROM - Roadster Orange Metallic - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Looking for RG3550MZ refinishing recommendations - ROM - Roadster Orange Metallic

A few years ago I sold my beautiful RG3550MZ-ROM in a moment of weakness, and I have regretted it ever since. I've been trolling the auction sites waiting for one to come available, but no luck yet. I have an RG3550MZ in galaxy black, but I miss my old roadster orange metallic version, so I thought perhaps I could get the body of that guitar refinished...

So, here's my question: Does anyone have any recommendations for a guitar refinisher that could duplicate the Ibanez roadster orange metallic finish? I would send it back to the factory to have it done, but I don't think Ibanez does that.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:34 AM

Re: Looking for RG3550MZ refinishing recommendations - ROM - Roadster Orange Metallic

Robert,

Shame you got rid of the guitar.

Searched for one these for quite some time but never managed to acquire one. Only seen three in the last few years & all were state side.

Like you I have made do with a galaxy black 3550 & then re-painted a guitar (wasn't quite the deal I had lead to believe it was ) as a second best (an orange that was not that far away), turned out pretty well so best of both worlds in some respect.

You guys over the water seem to be able to pick bodies up a lot cheaper, if it were myself I would be thinking on acquiring a 3550 body & using that rather than using the galaxy black body.

That said this is assuming the galaxy black is in top condition & you haven't already done it or found a 3550 ROM.

If the project body then turns out great you can shift the galaxy black or keep as a spare/project.

RG BARGIE
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Re: Looking for RG3550MZ refinishing recommendations - ROM - Roadster Orange Metallic

RG BARGIE,

Thanks for your reply, and as it turns out you appear to have read my mind from across the pond! My Galaxy Black is in mint condition, so I didn't want to risk screwing up that existing body. I managed to procure a desert yellow RG3550MZ body only from evilbay, and I shipped it out to Marty Bell for refinishing. His evaluation of the "Roadster Orange Metallic" finish is that it is in fact a candy orange base with gold flecks applied during the clearcoat phase, and I think he is probably dead-on in his assessment of the color. Anyway, I'll have the refinished body back in two or three weeks so we will see how it turns out!

-Robert
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Robert,

Good news

I am interested to see what it turns out like, I took a less scientific approach to the problem (it was the cheapest actually that led me....sigh) but never the less still quite happy with it.

Just not the real thing though sadly.

Hope it turns out well, make sure you get some photos up when you have the chance would like to see the finished article.

RG BARGIE

Tags
ibanez , refinishing , rg3550mz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode