looking for a routing tool - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
looking for a routing tool

hey jemsite! i'm looking for a routing tool, and i don't have a lot of money to spend. i have a craftsman rotary tool that works well for what i've had to do so far, but i want to be able to route large cavities. Any thoughts specifically about the Dremel Trio rotary tool? http://www.woot.com/ has one today, and it's somewhat within my price range. Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Re: looking for a routing tool

Hey dude!

First off. Check pawnshops. They have awesome deals on routers.

Second, I've been using the dremel for my router and its awesome man. Can't go wrong with it. Multi speed, easy to use, very cost effective too. The bits aren't cheap though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! pawnshops are in short supply in my area (minimum of 30 mile drive to get to one, lol). good to hear about the Dremel brand though! my one concern with this tool is that it only uses specialized attachments, and not other rotary bits.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
Awesome! pawnshops are in short supply in my area (minimum of 30 mile drive to get to one, lol). good to hear about the Dremel brand though! my one concern with this tool is that it only uses specialized attachments, and not other rotary bits.
It may be worth the drive dude. Give the nearest one a call and see what they have. The dremel bits aren't cheap for what they are, and as you said, your options are somehwat limited ten bucks in gas to get a 20$ router may be prudent
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM

You're going to want something with more power than the dremel for doing large cavities. Thats fine for fret slotting, switch slots and the like, but you will rather quickly wear that little bugger out doing trem, electronic and pickup routes.

Check craigslist in your area for a good plunge router.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Ro...lt_Router.html

One of the best little routers you can get for the money. Others are better but that one gives you a good power/versatility to cost.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Reviews: 6

This won't be as good as the one Stewmac sells, but if you're only looking to use the tool a few times, this one's pretty reasonable price-wise.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html

And here's the same one StewMac sells, but for less.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

You might also want to consider a plunge router -- it allows you to set the depth and easily drop into the cutting area.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Be careful with tools from Home Depot or Lowes. Even if they have the same part number you'd be surprised how often you can open them up and fine plastic parts in the box store model and metal parts in the hardware store model. It's just one more way the boxes keep their prices low.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yep--plunge router is the way to go for large cavities. I love my Dremels, but a "real" router is what you need for bigger work.

Tags
router

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode