LoPro matching bridge radius to neck radius - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
LoPro matching bridge radius to neck radius

So still working on this old Jem BFP.

The G string is to high and pops out compared to the rest, you can clearly see it with the naked eye. the low E is too high as well. Below a pictured measured with a 17" radius gauche.

There are no shims installed atm. trem knives are currently perfectly level. I was under the impression that all lopro saddles were the same height since the base plate has the radius, or is that wrong? prefer to ask before removing them the check that.

Otherwise how would I fix this or what are the most common causes of such problems ? Seems odd that such an advanced trem would be delivered so off.

Rich, you mention the radius in your setup options when buying guitars. Do Ibanez's come with a wrong radius match out of the factory ? and how do you fix this ? thx!

Last edited by Silverburst; 05-02-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Re: LoPro matching bridge radius to neck radius

Need input on this. Noone having this problem with Lo pro's ? thx
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

aaaah cmooooooon, no one has this problem around here ? impossible! :P
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Vendor

Sorry, post notifiers were down for a few days.

Does the radius gauge even match the frets?

I use the fret, wind the trem down so the string are laying on the frets. Make sure you've broken the strings off the saddle, the low E looks to be rising as it leaves.

Shims, copper shielding tape, I've even see scotch tape used.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

thx for the input Rich

it's a 2 sided gauche, matches the fretboard perfectly. I'll double check with flattening the action.

thx

Last edited by Silverburst; 05-06-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

hotd*mn... notching/breaking the low E when leaving the saddle as you suggested solved that problem! wasn't aware that this could make such a difference. Matches the radius gauche perfectly nowThis guitar is stringed with 46 which are a tad stiffer than the 42 I put on almost all my guitars. sharp eyeballing of you off of that picture.

The G is still too high, even after the breaking. So I'll take it of to see if I find any surprises underneath. I can feel the difference with my finger on the nosepart of the saddle compared to the D, which should be exactly level.

Last edited by Silverburst; 05-06-2015 at 06:28 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

ok, problem solved !

I removed the G string saddle, nothing below. I have 3 spare lo pro saddles around, compared with a calliper and this one was 0.007 (metric) lower on the nose compared to my 3 spares while it shows higher in the bridge. odd. But then I put the saddle back, felt no difference anymore... huh ? As I tightened the screw, near the final squeeze, I feel the saddle rising! probably because the saddle position is as such that it "almost" shows the furthest mounting hole 100% and using the screw in the first position pressed to hard on the tip of the nose. The tip of the nose is not 100% square edged resulting in a subtle convex shape at the tip, making the saddle's ass jump up a bit when using the front srcew hole! So I chose to push the saddle a bit further so the back mounting whole was in the clear and put the screw over there. Problem solved !

2 different problems made this a bit cloudy, but again, the simplest among explanations are often the right ones ! 2 lessons learned today
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

The G is slightly flat at the 12th fret now though since the saddle is a tad too far.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Vendor

Exactly, it's no longer intonated. You have to shim all the other saddle to match the high one, if you don't have a lower saddle among the spares.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 PM

I'm a little confused as to how you fixed the low-E string height. The G-string fix makes sense.

Another way to cure the G-string saddle problem and be able to intonate correctly would be to open the slot in the saddle the same amount you need to reach the rear bolt hole, plus a little more for good measure. The metal used in these saddles is pretty soft and easily workable. A .120 notching file would be PERFECT for this.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...Nut_Files.html

On a related note- I have seen the washer that is supposed to be on top of the saddle (under the bolt head) underneath the saddle. Apparently someone let the washer slip down the bolt when installing the saddle. Obviously this wasn't your problem, but it may help someone else that comes across this thread looking for help.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Shimming all the rest to match up for one saddle that gets pushed up because the screw squeezes the the tip... Hmmm, no. I'll check if the problem occurs with me spares as well.

rgt, don't know if I have that much space left between the head of the screw and the back wall of the upper screw cavity, checking tonight. Thx
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverburst View Post
hotd*mn... notching/breaking the low E when leaving the saddle
What is meant by 'notching/breaking the lo E when leaving the saddle'?

BTW - I have a similar problem with the G string on my Edge LoPro - it's adjusted pretty far forward, meaning the screw isn't at the tip like it was on yours, it's closer to the middle of the saddle so I don't think it's tilting it forward like yours was. I'll have to pull it and take a look. Thanks for the informative thread though, it's helping me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
Quote:

BTW - I have a similar problem with the G string on my Edge LoPro - it's adjusted pretty far forward, meaning the screw isn't at the tip like it was on yours, it's closer to the middle of the saddle so I don't think it's tilting it forward like yours was. I'll have to pull it and take a look. Thanks for the informative thread though, it's helping me.
when installing fresh strings, even under full tension, they still leave the saddle in a curve, with a bow. so you should press down the string just in front of the saddle a few times. this creates a knick in the string at the point it leave the saddle and you will notice it actually affects your action noticably.... resulting in a correct radius.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
Quote:

when installing fresh strings, even under full tension, they still leave the saddle in a curve, with a bow. so you should press down the string just in front of the saddle a few times. this creates a knick in the string at the point it leave the saddle and you will notice it actually affects your action noticably.... resulting in a correct radius.
Ahhhh, I see. Thank you.

I’m having a similar issue to yours, I put up a post about it with a couple photos, my G string is sitting pretty high & my D seems to be sitting too low. Could you take a look and see what you think?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

On a related note- I have seen the washer that is supposed to be on top of the saddle (under the bolt head) underneath the saddle. Apparently someone let the washer slip down the bolt when installing the saddle. Obviously this wasn't your problem, but it may help someone else that comes across this thread looking for help.
Thank you for this! After reading I decided to check and sure enough, the washer was under the saddle of all three upper strings. Removed them & put them where they're supposed to be - BOOM - perfect radius! Never would've thoght to check this so I probably wouldn't have found it unless I pulled the saddles to check for shims. Again, thank you!

Tags
radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode