Low E string not staying in tune! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Low E string not staying in tune!

Now before you start flaming me for not stretching strings or something..

My Strings are stretched
My trem is parallel to the body
The nut is not loose and the pads are locked down securely
The saddle's are locked down as well and aren't moving anytime soon.

So..
I recently got my S back up and running (thanks to Rich for providing me the part!)
And just finished stringing it up last night.

I guess because it was so late yesterday I didn't notice this problem but when I started playing it today it was pretty noticeable.

Whenever I do a divebomb, the low E string goes a good half step down. It goes back in tune with a quick pull up but I can't seem to be able to fix it indefinitely.

After like half an hour of tinkering I've that if I push down where the red arrow is pointing, the trem goes back into tune. I'm not sure how to fix this...

Any help would be great :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Low E string not staying in tune!

anybody..?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM

On each side of where your E string is located on the saddle.....where it bends/pivots, make sure that is moving freely, lube it if you have to. Also...(I had this problem with my low B on my 7), use some chap stick under the string on the saddle as well as up at the nut in the groove under the string. Try that and see what happens......
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Vendor

Make sure the hinge of the saddle is lubricated, and that it's seating against the top lip of the fine tuner. You do have the spring in the saddle right?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I have the spring between the saddle and the base of the trem.

Thank's guy's I'll try lubing it when I get home.

What do you recommend something similar to what you'd use in a nut like graphite? or something like chapstick you'd use on knife edges?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:12 PM

i use some coil
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

what's... coil?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Okay well I was getting ready to grease up the saddle area. I blocked the trem with a 9 volt in the pull up cavity. As I was putting on the chapstick I put some weight on the tremolo bar. (facing away from the neck) After I did this I heard a slight popping sound and saw that the stud was wobbling.

So now I guess I've figured it's not the saddle but the Stud that's having a problem

Okay so I know for a fact that it's not ovaling of the insert but between the bolt that hold's the stud attached to the flap connected to the ball bearing.

So.. my problem is I can't find a way to tighten the bolt on any tighter but there still seems to be a gap. Not really sure how to tighten it anymore..

help?

Tags
not staying in tune , saddle movement , trem , zero resistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode