lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

how many of you guys use a lower action for your treble strings (i.e. G-B-E) vs. your bass strings (E-A-D) ?

I know most people say because they are thinner, they need less room to vibrate thus you can put them lower,

but how many of you find it annoying and uneven when you have lower action on the treble strings vs. the bass strings? don't you feel the curvature and it feels weird because the action is different ?

I tried it but had to put the action back to the same height on both bass and treble because it just felt lopsided...

I guess what I 'm really asking is, [b]is there some formula to decide how much lower to put the treble strings as opposed to the bass strings?[b]

is it based of the nut? I know the bridge radius makes it so the strings innately are all even distances of the fretboard radius - so then how do you determine how low to go on the treble side?

Last edited by abstract_noise; 04-12-2014 at 10:18 PM.
abstract_noise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cinco Ranch
Posts: 102
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

You shouldn't have to lower the treble side.
When set up correctly, the saddles will radius to the neck with the bridge level.
I've never had a problem on any double locking trem and never had to lover the treble side.
I love hyper low action and always get it with no buzz.

are you adjusting your saddles just right?
How about nut and neck shim?
BernieMango is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMango View Post
You shouldn't have to lower the treble side.
When set up correctly, the saddles will radius to the neck with the bridge level.
I've never had a problem on any double locking trem and never had to lover the treble side.
I love hyper low action and always get it with no buzz.

are you adjusting your saddles just right?
How about nut and neck shim?
lol bro, nothing is wrong with guitar I was only asking how far do most people lower their treble strings vs. their bass strings.

That's weird that you say you "never lower " the treble strings but I would reckon about 90% of the players do.

Hell, most of the guitars ship out from the factory that way as well because the treble strings need less room to vibrate, so it's almost illogical to keep them at the bass string height.

Really bro? suggesting a nut and neck shim? Do some of you people just like modding guitars for the hell of it lol?
abstract_noise is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cinco Ranch
Posts: 102
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
lol bro, nothing is wrong with guitar I was only asking how far do most people lower their treble strings vs. their bass strings.

That's weird that you say you "never lower " the treble strings but I would reckon about 90% of the players do.

Hell, most of the guitars ship out from the factory that way as well because the treble strings need less room to vibrate, so it's almost illogical to keep them at the bass string height.

Really bro? suggesting a nut and neck shim? Do some of you people just like modding guitars for the hell of it lol?

I said, "I never lower my treble side." I never said others don't.

I never mentioned modding either. Shims are usually factory installed.
BernieMango is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMango View Post
I said, "I never lower my treble side." I never said others don't.

I never mentioned modding either. Shims are usually factory installed.
No, I don't think this guitar has any shims in it unfortunately. Though, the nut seems perfect (there is no buzzing on 1st fret or open strings).

It's neck thru so obviously neck adjustments are out of the question

I was just more-so curious if there was an actual rhyme or reason or "formula" to lowering the treble side like i.e. "the treble side should be -2mm less than the bass side"

anyway I'm assuming there is not, however, I am using 1.8mm currently on my 24th fret low E and 1.6mm on my high E and this feels alright I suppose.
abstract_noise is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cinco Ranch
Posts: 102
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

I know some people do lower the treble side.
I'm not sure of a height formula, but maybe just a preference thing.
Maybe just try to balance it out best you can until you get the action you want with no buzz.

there may be an article at stew-mac.
I used to get the newsletters that had tons of stuff like this. Maybe there's an archive there.
BernieMango is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMango View Post
I know some people do lower the treble side.
I'm not sure of a height formula, but maybe just a preference thing.
Maybe just try to balance it out best you can until you get the action you want with no buzz.

there may be an article at stew-mac.
I used to get the newsletters that had tons of stuff like this. Maybe there's an archive there.
Thanks
abstract_noise is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cinco Ranch
Posts: 102
Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
Thanks
You're welcome!
If I can find that article I'll send it to you.
BernieMango is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jem BSB cant lower the strings any further Stuntdouble7 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 16 06-29-2013 01:41 PM
Bass side trem post lower than treble side - good to go? Tannen Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 09-17-2011 11:45 AM
edge 3 - lower strings touching fretboard thehungryhippo Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 6 01-12-2011 03:39 PM
FS: 2 Iby LACS 7 strings. New pics, much lower prices. DavejWeiner Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 07-01-2010 01:44 PM
Fret Buzz problem, lower 3 strings only. SidewinderINC Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 6 04-02-2006 03:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome