lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

how many of you guys use a lower action for your treble strings (i.e. G-B-E) vs. your bass strings (E-A-D) ?

I know most people say because they are thinner, they need less room to vibrate thus you can put them lower,

but how many of you find it annoying and uneven when you have lower action on the treble strings vs. the bass strings? don't you feel the curvature and it feels weird because the action is different ?

I tried it but had to put the action back to the same height on both bass and treble because it just felt lopsided...

I guess what I 'm really asking is, [b]is there some formula to decide how much lower to put the treble strings as opposed to the bass strings?[b]

is it based of the nut? I know the bridge radius makes it so the strings innately are all even distances of the fretboard radius - so then how do you determine how low to go on the treble side?

Last edited by abstract_noise; 04-12-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Banned

Re: lower action on the treble strings vs. bass strings

You shouldn't have to lower the treble side.
When set up correctly, the saddles will radius to the neck with the bridge level.
I've never had a problem on any double locking trem and never had to lover the treble side.
I love hyper low action and always get it with no buzz.

are you adjusting your saddles just right?
How about nut and neck shim?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMango View Post
You shouldn't have to lower the treble side.
When set up correctly, the saddles will radius to the neck with the bridge level.
I've never had a problem on any double locking trem and never had to lover the treble side.
I love hyper low action and always get it with no buzz.

are you adjusting your saddles just right?
How about nut and neck shim?
lol bro, nothing is wrong with guitar I was only asking how far do most people lower their treble strings vs. their bass strings.

That's weird that you say you "never lower " the treble strings but I would reckon about 90% of the players do.

Hell, most of the guitars ship out from the factory that way as well because the treble strings need less room to vibrate, so it's almost illogical to keep them at the bass string height.

Really bro? suggesting a nut and neck shim? Do some of you people just like modding guitars for the hell of it lol?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
lol bro, nothing is wrong with guitar I was only asking how far do most people lower their treble strings vs. their bass strings.

That's weird that you say you "never lower " the treble strings but I would reckon about 90% of the players do.

Hell, most of the guitars ship out from the factory that way as well because the treble strings need less room to vibrate, so it's almost illogical to keep them at the bass string height.

Really bro? suggesting a nut and neck shim? Do some of you people just like modding guitars for the hell of it lol?

I said, "I never lower my treble side." I never said others don't.

I never mentioned modding either. Shims are usually factory installed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I said, "I never lower my treble side." I never said others don't.

I never mentioned modding either. Shims are usually factory installed.
No, I don't think this guitar has any shims in it unfortunately. Though, the nut seems perfect (there is no buzzing on 1st fret or open strings).

It's neck thru so obviously neck adjustments are out of the question

I was just more-so curious if there was an actual rhyme or reason or "formula" to lowering the treble side like i.e. "the treble side should be -2mm less than the bass side"

anyway I'm assuming there is not, however, I am using 1.8mm currently on my 24th fret low E and 1.6mm on my high E and this feels alright I suppose.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Banned

I know some people do lower the treble side.
I'm not sure of a height formula, but maybe just a preference thing.
Maybe just try to balance it out best you can until you get the action you want with no buzz.

there may be an article at stew-mac.
I used to get the newsletters that had tons of stuff like this. Maybe there's an archive there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know some people do lower the treble side.
I'm not sure of a height formula, but maybe just a preference thing.
Maybe just try to balance it out best you can until you get the action you want with no buzz.

there may be an article at stew-mac.
I used to get the newsletters that had tons of stuff like this. Maybe there's an archive there.
Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
Thanks
You're welcome!
If I can find that article I'll send it to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode