Lowest E string slips...what's the problem? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Lowest E string slips...what's the problem?

Hallo guys...i have a rg550ex, 2000. year of production...with lo pro edge...
I was trying to set the action as low as possible - i have set the trem angle as it is described on jemsite, tech page...but i am not sure about about bridge height...i had guitar with a floating trem before, and when i wanted to lower or raise the bridge height, i have used 2 screws on top of the trem...i would tighten them up clockwise to lower it and the oposite for raising( it was on a lo trs 2)...i am not sure is that proper way for lo pro?
Anyway, now, my first, the thinnest, E string slips down the fretboard when i try to vibrate it harder, and my action is even not extremely low (what worries me the the most is that i remember that my action was lower before, and i was not having this e string issue!)...
i can live with it, since i can vibrate it up, but it bothers me, since that is not the proper way, and i know that it was different before...
What should I re-adjust to fix this?
please help me- i am anxious to play my guit proparly since i have finally found that vai sound on my gear!
thanx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:24 PM

Re: Lowest E string slips...what's the problem?

It sounds like the Lo pro edge may have shifted to the side. Maybe it was a little off and it fell into place when you moved the screws. I would try loosening the 4 neck screws on the back, then pushing/pulling the neck so that it gives you a little more wood and the high e string isn't so close to the edge. There usually is a little bit of play in the neck pocket.
You can also try to adjust the lo pro by loosening the strings and pushing it over.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Lowest E string slips...what's the problem?

It is hard to tell, but it seems to me that distance from the edge of the fretboard to the E string, either lower or higher, is the same....so that I don't understand why does the lowest, (i mean the thinnest string) slips off...i have tried to raise or lower the bridge again (by using 2 screws on the top of it) but string is slipping no matter at what height it is...?
And can some of you guys tell me what are your experiences with low E string (i must again to say THE THINNEST one, NOT THE TOP ONE) while playing at lowest possible, but playable action?thanx...

Tags
neck screws , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode