Making a ZRII sustain block - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Re: Making a ZRII sustain block

Fair enough. Its still a significant upgrade. Although since in theory it'd be easier to just extend the block backwards wholesale, and that way it'd give you more mass, would there be an option, should you sell these, to do a version for people who don't use the ZPS? In theory its leaving a step of the process OUT, rather than adding one IN, so maybe?

Bear in mind I'm not a machinist, so I could be wrong :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Yep that would be the plan. The space would have to be machined out for the ZPS bar so that would be an extra step. It'd be easy to just leave that step out and give you a larger sustain block. But if it's tungsten, how much weight is too much? I don't think a lot of people want to add two pounds to an S, LOL. Once I have an approximate volume, I can figure out the weight. Tungsten is much more dense than brass and two pieces of the same dimensions will have different weights (tungsten weighing more). A brass one would need to be larger but that might be a viable and less expensive alternative to tungsten for those who don't plan on using the ZPS.

I'm going to make molds and hopefully have something "whittled" up by this weekend and then I'll see if I have a local shop who can do the machine work. If not, I'll have to find someone capable of working with tungsten. I found one shop already but if I can work with someone local, that's a bonus.

I'd invest in one of those rapid prototyping machines that print 3D plastic parts but that money is going towards guitars! Again, maybe someone in town has one. Decent ones can be had for well under $1,000 now.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
Yep that would be the plan. The space would have to be machined out for the ZPS bar so that would be an extra step. It'd be easy to just leave that step out and give you a larger sustain block. But if it's tungsten, how much weight is too much? I don't think a lot of people want to add two pounds to an S, LOL. Once I have an approximate volume, I can figure out the weight. Tungsten is much more dense than brass and two pieces of the same dimensions will have different weights (tungsten weighing more). A brass one would need to be larger but that might be a viable and less expensive alternative to tungsten for those who don't plan on using the ZPS.

I'm going to make molds and hopefully have something "whittled" up by this weekend and then I'll see if I have a local shop who can do the machine work. If not, I'll have to find someone capable of working with tungsten. I found one shop already but if I can work with someone local, that's a bonus.

I'd invest in one of those rapid prototyping machines that print 3D plastic parts but that money is going towards guitars! Again, maybe someone in town has one. Decent ones can be had for well under $1,000 now.
Well, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye. My S2170 has been crying for more sustain since I bought her!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I've got a S1520NT on the way and it has the Edge Lo-Pro. I've ordered a brass big block and brass claw for it as well so I'll have a pretty good reference to go by. I know the two will probably never be equal but it'd be nice to get close. Dunno what it is about the ZR trem that does this...

I also have a set of Dimarzio Gravity Storms with an HS-3 single going in to my S5470, not sure if it'll make any difference. I have one dead spot on my neck that's noticeable. An adjustment to the truss rod could probably change that, or move it up/down the scale. If I can just add enough material in the right place to at least even things out a bit, I'll be a happy camper.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Another guy has gone down this path,heres a link to the thread.
Scroll down for pics and design plans etc.
http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst74...ue-solved.aspx
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Whoa! such weight should kill all the character of the instrument
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Yep, I'm familiar with his endeavors and end result. I have his plans sitting on my computer's desktop. I tried to contact him but received no response. My goal was to create something which requires less work to install and doesn't change the basic functions of the stock ZR system and is not permanent. I'm going to try the tungsten sustain block first and go from there.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

ZPS2 came in (Thanks Rich!) and worst fears were realized. The spring posts for the outer springs are either pressed or epoxied in (or combination of both). I was rather hoping for screwed in.

The entire assembly is featherweight. Really, really light.

Pics!

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 15

It might be possible to press the spring posts out and then have them threaded. Unless of course they're damaged while being pressed out.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Maybe...they're pretty inexpensive but that's a lot of extra work and how many people would be really willing to do that? I may have a solution which won't require cutting or altering the stock setup and is reversible.

I'm picking my S5470 up after work today, new pickups installed. I told him about the sustain issue and he looked over everything for me and did a basic setup. The guitar tech had two other very good guitarists play it without telling them about the issue (post setup). Neither one noticed any sustain issues. I'll test when I get home. Will still proceed with the sustain block regardless but I wish he'd had them play it prior to the new pickups and setup. He did say the middle pickup is quite a bit quieter than the two hums. It's a noiseless HS-3 Dimarzio Single. Said it had good tone but was not nearly as loud as the two other pickups.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I put this link in another post. It's an interesting read and thought it was worth putting here too. Concerns dead spots on various guitars.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...dead+spot+neck

Tags
block , s540 , sustain , tremolo , zr2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode