Maple as a body wood? (for a 7 string) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Maple as a body wood? (for a 7 string)

After looking at my options for making my custom 7 string out of a broken BC Rich, I've decided to get the body made by a family friend who's been making guitars fo years.

He suggested Maple / Canadian Rock Maple because it's pretty cheap and easy to finish. Anyone know if maple is any good as a body wood?

Note: I did look into getting a body from EKG or Universal Jems but the EKG site says they don't do complete customs, just replacement JEM/UV bodies and Universal Jems haven't replied to my mail about 7 string bodies (presumably busy at NAMM or something?). In the end I decided it was worth paying an extra 50 to be sure that everything would fit together and I also get the choice of body shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:17 AM

I actually think its great. I have one 7-string that is solid quilted maple. It's very heavy(maple in general, not my particular 7 string) and the tone is very bright. But that translates into a tight B string sound. It gives you the freedom to use higher output, deeper, richer sounding pickups and not get muddy. The definition from note to note within a chord is great. Mine is a slimmed down body, like an S series thickness approximately. That helps the weight, as does routing a nice large electronics cavity.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
EKG

We are doing complete 7's ;-) (Chad is doing final work on the new site)

Frank is right, though. Maple is HEAVY! I have some blanks here wondering what to do with
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:54 PM

yes

Maple is VERY heavy my Lynch tiger is solid eastern rock maple and weighs like 23lbs, but it's probably the best sounding guitar I've ever ran through it's extremely tight and punchy killer w/ attack. I think it'd make an excelent choice for a 7.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Vendor

Have you ever actually put it on a scale? That's a little tough to believe, the HRG I had was about 9 pounds
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:12 PM

hah

I'll put it on a scale if you want exact weight but it feels like a ton. haha
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG
If I could I'd get a new body and neck and just use the hardware from the BCR, but I'm trying to keep this as cheap as I can. But then if you can sell me a neck and body for 200..

When people say that maple is heavy, how does it compare to Mahogany? My Epi Les Paul seems to weigh a ton!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG

Frank is right, though. Maple is HEAVY! I have some blanks here wondering what to do with
If you slim them down, its not so bad. As a radius or saber body the weight is managable. You can also hollow them out and put a figured top on them. Also, due to the brightness, it works extremely well with rosewood necks. I have one that's rosewood/ebony and one thats rosewood/rosewood.

There's lots of other reasons certain guitars are heavy, from hardware to moisture content. Overall, the LP is thicker than a bolt neck guitar. There's more total mass, and the maple top is as heavy as...well...maple. Maple is heavier than mahogany, but to a lesser degree than mahogany is to basswood or alder. If you're going to do one of the big B.C. Rich body designs definitely stay away from maple. But if you are doing a dinky strat size, you should be fine. Remember a FR trem adds its own weight, and the more you carve and contour the body the more weight you've removed. So I go with really big tummy cuts and elbow cuts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 PM

ok

OK I checked it out and it's coming in right around 22lbs. This is the entire guitar, I don't know if you were thinking just the body. Eastern Rock Maply wasn't called Rock for nothing

Tags
body shape , epi les paul , les paul , quilted maple , rosewood neck , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode