Maple Fret Board Cleaning - Page 4 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Maple Fret Board Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredgar View Post
yea the 3m polishing papers are good for minor dirt grime build up on your fretboard or any other non clearcoated wood and clean frets and and other metals on your guitar. theyre really great for getting the wood really smooth. if you have a suuuuuper dirty fretboard, then another method should be used like super fine steel wool or bore oil cleaning. the micro mesh ones ive never tried, but i think theyre more for getting metals and finishes to shine, rather than remove dirt build up from woods.
Perfect thanks. I'm in the middle of restoring a 777DY neck as I type. It's the dirtiest neck I have ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:09 PM

I use Howard Feed and Wax wood preserver and a bit of Windex glass cleaner (Spray on a cloth and wipe the strings) to keep my maple neck looking good. It has bees wax and Orange oil. Should be ok, Right?
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 AM

Reviews: 20

Hi, is there any way to keep maple boards from turning brown-ish?
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie8889 View Post
Hi, is there any way to keep maple boards from turning brown-ish?
Wash your hands before playing, and also wipe the fretboard off after playing.

post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM

As long as we have maple fretboard, how come nobody make maple fretboard cleaning? Even dunlop knows about "not to use dunlop lemon oil on maple fret board" but no one make commercially cleaning for it. Business opportunity here people!
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdmroxx View Post
As long as we have maple fretboard, how come nobody make maple fretboard cleaning? Even dunlop knows about "not to use dunlop lemon oil on maple fret board" but no one make commercially cleaning for it. Business opportunity here people!
Already available and people using them. Planet Waves makes some.

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Unfinished or finished?
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 AM

Been reading this maple fretboard cleaning thread.

So if you want to clean a maple fretboard you should never use lemon oil?

The best way to clean a superdirty maple board is????

What do you guys think, should I clearcoat the fretboard once it's clean?? Or just oil it?
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 AM

I'm going to add to this thread soon. I just cleaned up and refinished the fretboard on an LNG I just bought. Didn't take progress pics, but I do have some before after ones. I ended up refinishing the board with Minwax Polycrylic and it looks really great and better yet is protected. I'll do a writeup explaining my work as well as my refinish on the back of the neck.
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Just scored an RG550 from a pawn shop in total disrepair... was looking for a way to get through the inch of black tar that's on the board... I know this guitar's been mechanic owned. Great Thread...
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
KMT

At my pawn shop we use goof-off to cut thru the thick stuff, then "Pledge" citrus wood cleaner and a tooth brush. It can take several passes but it adds a nice polish afterward and any over spray goes toward cleaning the rest of the guitar
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the tips. I recently picked up an '81 Blazer and need to get her nice and clean.
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 PM

i dunno. I used lemon oil to clean one of my unfinished maple necks and it worked awesome. The guitar belong to a guy that smoked and the lemon oil even got the smoke smell out of the wood.

As a side note. I had used bore oil to condition unfinished fret boards and so i went to the music store to pick some up and they didn't sell any. I asked about it and one of their woodwind repairmen said that because bore oil is a petroleum distillate it didn't do as good of a job as a natural oil would. He suggested trying olive oil, vegetable or a combination of the two to get a deep conditioning.

I tried just straight olive oil on a rosewood fretboard and it worked like a freaking champ. I had an old GHS fast fret stick that i let sit in a small cup of olive oil then dabbed it off a bit and applied it right the the fret board. Waited a few minuets and wiped off the excess.

I wouldn't do this ever time i changed strings but it has done wonders for the neck i put it on.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 AM

very interesting topic, thanks
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:00 AM

Reviews: 6

After reading this wonderful thread I feel more confused than ever. I use lemon oil on my rosewood boards and thanks to j.arledge I tried olive oil recently (Popeye is still pissed) and the results are better than lemon oil. However, I'm totally confused about maple, I wash my hands and wipe the fretboard and my guitars live in their cases when not being played, however the maple on my Jem will soon need a clean. The neck has a coat which I love the feel of.

So, what can I use?

I know guys who use lemon oil on maple and reckon it would take decades to do any damage, but I don't want to cause any damage at all.

Tags
clear coat , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fret wire , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode