Maple Fret Board Cleaning - Page 5 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Re: Maple Fret Board Cleaning

Unless you've worn the finish off, maple boards are always cleared, so it could be as simple as wiping it down.

I'd say that you'd want to start with something extremely mild, like a tiny dot of dish soap in warm water and a rag or soft toothbrush. Get a sense if the finish is intact or has been worn away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 6

Thank you! Takin' after reading many of the opposing views I was unsure of which way to jump, but the soft toothbrush sounds perfect. The finish is intact on this one.

Cheers
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 2

A good friend's guitar here. Seems that the previous owner once used a wrong product on some of the frets. Really is a shame. I've been setting her up for him, but I promised myself to make it a personal quest to get the fretboard back to as it should be. He already used steel whool 0000 to get some of, it was quite worse when he got it. But is seems that the dirt or whatever it is is deeper ingrained in the wood, what is being refered to as ghosting here I think. Any opinions ? can it be bleached out without ruining the wood ? Thx !

btw... I really was surprised by these PAF pickups... dang, so crunchy!

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM

I read about lighter fluid and simple wiping to remove dirt?
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Yeah have you tried simply wiping it down with some Naptha(lighter fluid)? I would give that a shot, looks like it might just be residue/dirt from the steel wool that was used to clean the frets.
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Thank you for this!
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM

Hello
so i have a prestige model 3250MZ fluorescent orange with a maple neck and fretboard.
now i have read all about cleaning maple fretboard methods and i have used lighter fluid which cleaned the fretboard great , but i am looking to have a more slinkier and faster slide and glide , so can i use stuff like jim dunlop system 65 kit? or GHS fast fret?
note that the guitar is finished but i don't know exactly what type of finish they used.
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 2

What a coincidence. I have the exact same FOR 3250 It has still finish on it? I never tried the dunlop fretboard conditioners, but heard good thing about them. If the finish is still on the board I geuss you can use the same shine products you use on the body.

Tags
clear coat , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fret wire , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode