Maple fretboard after-clean finishing options: Tung oil vs Carnauba Wax - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Maple fretboard after-clean finishing options: Tung oil vs Carnauba Wax

Hello guys, sorry for starting yet another thread, I read both the sticky threads on cleaning maple fretboards and the amazing restoration job on that JEM77 done by HDS and also the tip regarding cleaning the maple fretboard with "simple green" I find it amazingly useful, but there is only ONE thing that seems to be unclear regarding this subject: once I'm through with the "cleaning" part (either sanding lightly or using simple green or what not) I would like to protect my fingerboard, I definitely do not want to put a clear coat on it with acrylic stuff or whatever, I like the unfinished feel of maple but I dislike the fact that an unfinished maple fretboard equals an unprotected maple fretboard I basically want to know the difference between using Tung oil vs Carnauba wax to refinish it.

Any shared experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Re: Maple fretboard after-clean finishing options: Tung oil vs Carnauba Wax

DO NOT use tung oil.

The clear was worn through on this fretboard but the stains only came out after I stupidly applied tung oil.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
DO NOT use tung oil.

The clear was worn through on this fretboard but the stains only came out after I stupidly applied tung oil.

That is interesting, thank you for sharing, so I guess I'm basically left with the caurnuba wax to get an unfinished yet protected finish right?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM

A lot of people report success with this product:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...ax-wipeon-poly

Test it on one small spot first before you do the whole thing.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

A few updates here:

Here is how the board looks like

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3hdlyd3r1a86y8d/6reYxIzqD5

I want to get rid of the dark stains but I like the non glossy natural feel, I have been reading a lot about this stuff lately and I found two other possible options regarding the finishing, one is some ErnieBall wipes that seem to work pretty well on unfinished maple, the other option is Tru Oil, but not sure if this tru oil might have the same effect as Tung oil on bringing back the stains... any thoughts?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
A lot of people report success with this product:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...ax-wipeon-poly

Test it on one small spot first before you do the whole thing.
Thank you sir, I've been watching a few pictures of how this product ends up working and I'm not sure it is what I'm after, seems to me that this product is almost a clean glossy finish, unless I lightly sand it after the third coat or fourth coat has dried up maybe?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM

I've mostly heard of people using it on vintage Fenders, which probably have more of a glossy finish. I used their Polycrylic satin brush-on on a fretboard. I just very carefully brushed it on one fret at a time with an artist brush and it turned out fine.

But that product was TOO clear and the satin finish doesn't look right. You might try one of their other poly products in semi-gloss. They should have a slightly yellow tint to them, which should look more correct. Their high-build poly looks interesting and probably levels very well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM

You only want to use an oil (tung, tru, linseed) if the old finish is completely removed otherwise you'll get the splotchy finish like above. The reason being that the oil can't soak in through the spots where the old finish remains...

If you want it to look as similar to the way it looks right after cleaning use a wipe on poly. Put on a few light coats, let it cure, then buff it out with 0000 steel wool going with the grain. Your frets will be buffed smooth and shinny as well...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM

That's good advice. On old necks where the clear on the back has become shiny with use, I buff it all out with 0000 steel wool to bring back the matte appearance.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
You only want to use an oil (tung, tru, linseed) if the old finish is completely removed otherwise you'll get the splotchy finish like above. The reason being that the oil can't soak in through the spots where the old finish remains...

If you want it to look as similar to the way it looks right after cleaning use a wipe on poly. Put on a few light coats, let it cure, then buff it out with 0000 steel wool going with the grain. Your frets will be buffed smooth and shinny as well...
Agreed, I've had amazing success with wipe-on poly. I use it in my profession as well. It's thin enough to soak in and become "part" of the project as opposed to brush-on that, more or less, sits on top of the material. I use the satin wipe-on in 2 coats then 0000 to finish. It feels like an oil finish that gives more protection.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
That sounds like what Im looking for, but please specify the following:

Exactly and in detail, how do I apply the product? Should I use a common rag, or a cloth, or with a brush or an airbrush?

When you say, let it cure, you mean I should let it stand still for how much time? (inside of a room, or near the light, or in the sun?)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I use the satin wipe-on in 2 coats then 0000 to finish. It feels like an oil finish that gives more protection.
Thank you sir, please explain further, what do you mean the satin wipe on?

Sorry but I'm a very illustrative kind of guy, I have always needed exact and detailed instructions on how to do things...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMoral View Post
Thank you sir, please explain further, what do you mean the satin wipe on?

Sorry but I'm a very illustrative kind of guy, I have always needed exact and detailed instructions on how to do things...
Minwax satin wipe on is the type of poly you want to get. It can be found at any hardware store. Use a rag and apply very thin coats and follow the directions on the can as far as drying and recoat times.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM

Reviews: 2

you'll be surprised at how fool proof wipe on poly is. You can buy it at Lowes, Home Depot, or any other chain hardware store.......... in the same section they will be selling painters rags. The cost about $1.50 per bag. The poly is about $7.

Get one of the rags (folded up) wet with poly.
Wipe it on to you project piece. It's VERY easy to apply evenly. It's only slightly thicker than water.

let the first coat dry for 15-20 mins (dry to touch)

lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to remove any debris

wipe on second coat and allow to dry 1 hour.

again, lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to remove any debris.

2 coats should be enough. If not, repeat for a third time.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
you'll be surprised at how fool proof wipe on poly is. You can buy it at Lowes, Home Depot, or any other chain hardware store.......... in the same section they will be selling painters rags. The cost about $1.50 per bag. The poly is about $7.

Get one of the rags (folded up) wet with poly.
Wipe it on to you project piece. It's VERY easy to apply evenly. It's only slightly thicker than water.

let the first coat dry for 15-20 mins (dry to touch)

lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to remove any debris

wipe on second coat and allow to dry 1 hour.

again, lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to remove any debris.

2 coats should be enough. If not, repeat for a third time.
Perfect sir, thank you for being so patient and explanatory, I will proceed accordingly and let you know the results.

Tags
carnauba wax , maple fretboard , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode