Maple fretboard restore opinions needed - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Maple fretboard restore opinions needed

Hi, I just got myself a 92 RG550 which has quite some cleaning work. Read the sticky threads so went ahead with an electric toothbrush + industrial degreaser/cleaner on the first 4-5 frets (2 passes, yellow muck came out) and did an overal pass with 0300-4 steel whool to get the top grime off and make it a but softer again after the toothbrush operation. I'm not sure If I still have to continue with the toothbrush + industrial degreaser/cleaner. A lot of places have bare wood. This looks quite gray in comparison to the still finished parts, so I'm not sure if this is already the natural color of the maple or not. I'm a bit scared to overdo the toothbrush + industrial degreaser/cleaner on bare wood. On fret 2-5 the you can feel waves in the wood as well, since that part of the fretboard was used the most (should I block sand that slightly?). Fret were really denty but never dressed. I already leveled them in the pictures below (still have to round and polish them). Too much fret left so I'm not going to pull them.

The next step would be Tung oil (that is an oil that hardens a bit, right?), but I worry to lock remaining dirt in. What do you think? Below some progress pictures. Thx !

Start:

After:

Waves

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: Maple fretboard restore opinions needed

I'd love to catch some input before the weekend thx
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 15

Sorry, I can see the photos (blocked at work).

If the finish is already damaged in some areas and you feel the wavers in the wood, and you want it back to "new" you can simply sand it down, and put a clear coat over the entire fretboard (taping off the frets of course). I did this what I scalloped my maple neck. I killed the initial finish, and left it unfinished, and it turned brown. I re-sanded it and put several coats of clear coat, then hand wet-sanded it to remove any imperfections. Now it looks brand new, and it's from the 80s
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thx! My main concern is to know if the wood is clean enough. I find it hard to tell. I dont want to lock any dirt beneath tung or coear finish.

How did you tape the frets? Did you wrap them completely or just the tops?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 15

I taped off with masking tape. One piece on one side, one on the other, and the tops came together. They I taped a full strip down each side to protect the sides and any possible dripping.

Remember, a ton of light coats will give you better results. No dripping is better than fixing over-spray any day.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, think I have enough info concerning the refinish. I'll go for tung oil.

What I'm still concerned about is the last grime/gray shine that seems to be stuck inside the wood. I tootbrushed it several times with degreaser, sanded first 2 frets flush again to get the waves out, but the traces remain. Seem even more appareant when compared to the 3rd fret. I guess if I refinish it like this it will be appareant and stuck under the finish ?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 AM

You're not ever really going to get rid of that shadowing without pulling the frets and sanding the board down a bit. Best I can recommend is trying to lightly sand with the frets in place and taped off and then re-sealing with polyurethane.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Some people recommended Clorox stick. Apparentlh it works on the grime in maple well. Anyone ever tried this?

Tags
maple cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode