maple top/laminate question? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

maple top/laminate question?

I have a frankgamble 400qm sig guitar with a quilt maple laminate. Is this a photocopy or actual quilt maple but very thin, other than the thickness you'd get on a les paul with a maple top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:33 PM

It is indeed maple, just a thin veneer. If it were a photo finish like the OLP guitars its appearance would not change under varying lights and angles.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

So is it used purely for a cosmetic effect rather than tone.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:49 AM

For a better idea check the tutorials over at Project Guitar .com
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Yes, a veneer is paper-thin and isn't going to have enough mass to affect the tone in any significant way. They're just for looks.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 AM

Some say the glue/veneer layer actually deadens tone. Personally, my 3 flamed sabre bodies were/are among the most resonant I've had; if this is DEADENED tone, they woulda been MONSTERS w/o the veneer...

Personally, I don't buy it; if done right I doubt it has much effect at all (but sure looks great!)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Heh.

I could see glue/veneer maybe having some subtle effect on tone if the bodies were cut from the same log and were completely raw.

But once you've encapsulated the whole thing in a thick layer of polyurethane, i would imagine a thin layer of glue and a paper-thin veneer pretty much becomes a moot point.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
...But once you've encapsulated the whole thing in a thick layer of polyurethane, i would imagine a thin layer of glue and a paper-thin veneer pretty much becomes a moot point.
Yes, amen. That's one thing I think makes my recently acquired RG6CST sounds so spunky...no grain filler and very thin finish.

A thin nitro finish might be cool on an Ibanez, eh?
Greg
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay I understand the veneer idea. But what about proper maple tops what do they do to the tone, and from a tone point of view does a flame/quiltmaple top have the same effect on sound as a plain maple top. And why are some tops described as aa, aaa, aaaaa I gather the one with more a's is better, but why? Who decides what is aa and aaaaa, what is the difference?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big h
Okay I understand the veneer idea. But what about proper maple tops what do they do to the tone, and from a tone point of view does a flame/quiltmaple top have the same effect on sound as a plain maple top. And why are some tops described as aa, aaa, aaaaa I gather the one with more a's is better, but why? Who decides what is aa and aaaaa, what is the difference?
Maple is heavy, dense, and bright. It will brighten a warm guitar (like say a mahogany Paul) if there's a good amount of it. Ugly maple will do this as well as a Ten Top flame or quilt jawdropper. The AAA thing is indeed a grade of the figuring and more As are better, but I dunno how they grade it. Plus, there are techniques to "bring out" the grain that's there, so that an AA top COULD look purtier than a AAAA.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

So as far as tone is concerned maple be it flame, quilt, bird's eye or plain is the same. I used to think that somehow flame/quilt maple was better than normal maple from a tone point of view because it's more expensive, but it's just the looks which makes it more sought after which I can understand. I imagine it must cost more than normal maple due to it being a more rare find. What do prs mean by a 10 top? Does that mean it is aaaaaaaaaa grade?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big h
So as far as tone is concerned maple be it flame, quilt, bird's eye or plain is the same. I used to think that somehow flame/quilt maple was better than normal maple from a tone point of view because it's more expensive, but it's just the looks which makes it more sought after which I can understand. I imagine it must cost more than normal maple due to it being a more rare find. What do prs mean by a 10 top? Does that mean it is aaaaaaaaaa grade?
Ten Top is PRS's name for "ultra purty", but I dunno how many "A"s that translates into.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. Keeping within a similiar subject of maple and its various guises. I read some specs on my fgm400qm sig guitar had a quatersawn maple neck, what does that mean?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 PM

quartersawn refers to the angle to the grain of wood, thus the direction in which it is sawn..if that makes any sense. See
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/necks.htm

Go to the middle, there's a thing called 'Neck dimensions', it also explains sawns.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Quartersawn is when they cut the maple blank in such a way that the grains will run perpendicular to the strings. It's supposed to be stronger and more stable, as if the grains are like "I" beams and the wood will stand up to more pressure at that angle than if the grains run sideways. They say as the temperature changes, it shrinks and expands more uniformly, too. That being said, its still a numbers game. In a big factory where they don't have time to hand select blanks, there will always be some good and bad necks. Starting with quartersawn stock just improves the ratio. (and the tone in my opinion )That being said, the blank has to agree witht the fretboard too. If you have an uncontrollable ebony board it won't matter much what's under it, unless its something with graphite or steel rods inlayed like a carvin.

It's also a boast that doesn't always come true, but generally if a company is saying they use quarter sawn maple for the necks they aren't lying. But as you get to end pieces or out to the side the runout can minimize the quartersawn effect.

Tags
darren wilson , ebony board , eric johnson , ibanez rgt , les paul , maple neck , neck dimensions , neck thru , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode