Mesa 2:90 Fan Mod ??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mesa 2:90 Fan Mod ???

Hey guys

Is there any way that i could install an ON / OFF switch , to the fan in my mesa 2:90 ?

When im playing late at night , i have to keep the volume quite low (thanks to new neighbours!) and the fan is quite audible over the guitar sound.

Also , when micing up the cab , you can hear the fan sound being picked up by the mic.

Note there is nothing atall wrong with the fan , its not rattling or anything , and ive hoovered it all dust free.

I opened up the 290 to have a look , but it seems more complicated than just soldering in a switch !

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Mesa 2:90 Fan Mod ???

i've thought about "upgrading" the stock fan by finding an AC fan of similar size [i'm sure *some* computer hardware stores carry 'em] and installing/soldering a voltage regulator or an on/off switch on the hot signal of the fan as opposed to installing a switch that's routed from the 2:90's board...
but i got stuck at being too lazy to open and study the innards of the poweramp :P

Reg
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Re: Mesa 2:90 Fan Mod ???

I'd recommend getting the part number of the fan. Places like http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/ stock fans in just about every size and type you could want, and they'll generally have some quality ones to pick from (Panaflos and Yate Loons are pretty quiet, if they carry them in the right size.)

As for powering it, most fans of that type run on a 12v feed. Its pretty likely that the fan will say this directly on it, so check that, and while you're at it, check the fan power cable just to be sure theres no resistor in it thats reducing voltage fed from another source. If there is, make sure to, by hook or by crook, keep a resistor of the same value in the same place, even if you change the cable.

All in all not a complex job in most instances, but you're going to need to get into the amp at some point, unless you're willing to send it to a tech and get charged out the ass for it!

Oh, and when you open it, LEAVE IT UNPLUGGED (not turned off, UNPLUGGED) FOR A FEW DAYS BEFOREHAND. Power amplifiers carry and store HUGE amounts of power inside, and you can easily hurt yourself if its not left to discharge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode