Methods for removing guitar finish - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Methods for removing guitar finish

So I acquired an 87' 560 for the purpose of refinishing though not set on what I am doing yet.

Do most people just sand it down or are there other methods?

If sanding are you just going with a cheap method like a block of wood with a piece of sand paper wrapped around it? What grit do you like to start/finish with?

Any idea how thick the original paint is?

Anybody got a good link to refinishing a guitar (mostly removing the current finish at the moment). My search here came up empty well mostly empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Methods for removing guitar finish

Several threads on this--try the search feature. There are also good tutorials all over the Internet like:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/burn.htm

http://projectguitar.com/tut/chem.htm

http://projectguitar.com/tut/sand.htm

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I tried the search feature here... about 4 times.. read about 20 threads but wasn't really finding what I was looking for.

Thanks for the links those are perfect. Oddly I was on projectguitar.com earlier but didn't see those. Maybe I am just blind as a bat...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteve72 View Post
I tried the search feature here... about 4 times.. read about 20 threads but wasn't really finding what I was looking for.

Thanks for the links those are perfect. Oddly I was on projectguitar.com earlier but didn't see those. Maybe I am just blind as a bat...
LOL--yeah, we use sonar!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 11

steve, the paint is super thick. I got a good combo going. I burn off the paint, then sand down the sealer coat to bare wood.... IF I want bare wood.

if you are just going to paint the guitar, theres absolutely NO reason to sand off the finish. My mind gets blown every time I see someone take it to bare wood, just to paint it again.

Just got a belt sander recently... and HOLY CRAP.... 40 grit belt = FAST wood removal!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I'm not looking for bare wood and I agree to remove the sealer would be a little odd just to repaint it. I've been reading page after page the last few days trying to figure out what I should do. I was thinking of using a paint stripper (chemical) but then I saw over at projectguitar it said not recommeneded for removing factory finishes. I don't have a belt sander or a heat gun. I do have a finish sander simliar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1293D-2-...648593&sr=1-14 though mine is a craftsman.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

I've done both the chemical stripper method and the heat method (but with a propane torch). The torch method was MUCH faster but did damage the wood in a few spots. The clear used on Ibanez guitars is really tough and the stripper doesn't have a lot of effect on it. It took me a lot of applications to get through it.

Tags
method , refinish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode