Mid range booster + TBX: any user here? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Mid range booster + TBX: any user here?

hello,

I have a G&L Legacy that i may mod.
I have 2 stock p.ups on it. the bridge p.up has been replaced a while ago by a Seymour Hot Rail.

I was wondering whether some people here have been using the EC strat signature (the original one). what do you think of the active system?

what if the battery runs out of power? Is it possible to play as if it was a passive guitar?

how do you think the system would behave with a hot rail?

I am also considering changing the p.ups for some lace sensors but I have no clue about which one I should take... the Gold were on the EC signature but I am not too sure about them since they don't seem very powerful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 AM

Re: Mid range booster + TBX: any user here?

I have Gold Lace in my Strat Plus with the TBX system. Love those pick ups and tone control. The Gold lace are sound great with overdrive.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM

there a huge debate what is active and waht is not, if u have a active module like carvin u are trully active

if u have a bat unit like emg style you arent really active, rather just a nickname

the emg 81/85 set had a less hot signal than my x2n and d. distotion pups

they are actually a really crappy design and do not offer more in tone, infact they color and ruin the clarity of the organic tone, they introduce thier own characteristics, and becasue they are a high bandwith circuit(proprietary design) they need a battery to power the circuit, the actual voltage coming out isnt any hotter than a passive system at all

now on the other hand carvins active module is a godsend, it can take any system, any pup at all, and trully give u MEGA BOOOOST

abut the ec, well they are based on the same activr designs of our time, but they are nicer, and sound better then the emg 81/85 sets, and do not require a battery, they can also run on a passive switch if u want, but you can use a active module with them as well and pull out the stock battery system

if u want a brighter sound i would actually recomend in ur case since u have hot rails, go with a 2meg volume pot to really increae ur dynamics and then pound a 500k tone with a .044!!! cap on it this might give u more of a active type sound and is easier and cheaper

and the hot rails have a incredible dxynamic to them, that active pups just do not have

unless u are using a active module

but in general, i threw out all emg, and everything after finding years and years went by, and it was just my passive wiring or whatever....i wish emg never exsisted, they are by far the worst product ever manufactured ever

and dont tell me about famous musicians who use emg....cuz if u went through thier guitars carefully, youd see that even kirk hammet, ot paul grigoru, none of them are actually using emg, they just have emg caps on them for the endorsement, sometimes htey use whatever, sometimes emg makes them a completely custom passive pickup

whatever, they arent the ones u see in stores

and wen we talk about ec pickups, i wouldnt be surprised if that fool had some bad ass customs!!!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post

and dont tell me about famous musicians who use emg....cuz if u went through thier guitars carefully, youd see that even kirk hammet, ot paul grigoru, none of them are actually using emg, they just have emg caps on them for the endorsement, sometimes htey use whatever, sometimes emg makes them a completely custom passive pickup

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post

o shoot, im talking about propoganda rob, propoganda!!!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:

Do you have proof of this? If Zakk and Kirk were in the forum I don't think they would appreciate you making such allegations. Your posts are just...........unbelievable.

Jimmy
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

dont be too sure of urself

i worked for clearchannel media doing concert work for 5 years,i have over 500 publishings...

trust me, big musicians, have it beyond cusotm, thats the same thing dim did, he got the highest endorsement he could for the dimbucker

but who trully made the origional xl-500.....bl......and dime always used it, never ever used a dimebucker, be he had the endorsement..... and the dimbucker he used in cncert for true replicas of the bl xl-500
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

guys your getting carried away!

sure these guys play the instruments/p.ups that are made for them and of course they must have their technicians change them a bit. after all: they are artists, they entertain us: you wouldnt want them to have the same sound from start to finish of their concert

Steve Vai had one of his technicians work on one of his guitars, even if he his endorsed by Di Marzio, when he realized the technician got rid of the pick up of this specific guitar he got his whole team to look for it in the trash bags...

he could have just a stock p.up... but no: he wanted this one back!

by the way:

I guess I'll have to rewire my G&L completely if I install this mod.
where do I put the 9v battery???
no problem with the hot rail to use a mid boost + tbx? (or I could get a set of Bill Lawrence noiseless or Lace sensors in different colors)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:

this is just nonsense. i've been on tour with my fair shake of well-admired guitarists, and tons of people use emg pickups. absolutely normal emg pickups. especially in metal. in talking to zakk wylde's tech on ozzfest, he told me exactly what pickups he uses and how they pretty much do not differ at all from the commercially available zw pickup set. i can see no reason why the guy's tech would have anything to gain from lying to me about it. my friend guitar techs for slayer and both kerry and jeff absolutely do use emg pickups. completely normal ones. i don't really care for emg pickups, but to insinuate that endorsing artists are always using something other than the products that they endorse is at best wild speculation and at worst a defamation of character. most endorsements are not paid endorsements, in fact the HUGE majority of them, so there is no reason for them to say "i'm using emg active pickups" and not do so. hell, i could name a huge amount of great players that sing the praises of emgs without having an endorsement. just because you don't like them doesn't mean that their endorsing artists dislike them but say otherwise for no good reason.

as far as dime (r.i.p.)is concerned, i've seen some of his guitars up close and at least a couple of them absolutely did have dimebuckers in there. it'd be easy enough for duncan to fake, but again, why bother? dime got his checks based on sales of dimebuckers, not based on saying "i use seymour duncans". from meeting the guy and talking shop, he didn't strike me as the sorta guy who'd put his name on something he didn't believe in. i mean, that's roughly equivalent to saying "the whole evolution thing is a lie! steve uses pickups that he made himself out of army field radio parts, and the evo's are just a replica of those that don't even come close to sounding the same" which of course is garbage. i'm sure he's got the odd prototype in a guitar or two, or probably other dimarzio pickups or even other brands in older guitars or whatever, but his main pickups are evos and breeds. they were made for him, so he uses them. the math is pretty simple.

i really don't know where you get a lot of your info from, but i definitely get the vibe that you need to do a little more homework before being so vocal about these opinions of yours.

Last edited by markyperfection; 03-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
dont be too sure of urself

i worked for clearchannel media doing concert work for 5 years,i have over 500 publishings...
Could you please post some links to these.... I know I'm certainly interested in discovering more about new members!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
this is just nonsense.
Yeah, thats been a recurring theme with him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choubix View Post
he got his whole team to look for it in the trash bags...
It was a dumpster

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 03-04-2008 at 10:37 PM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 PM

The TBX control is not active, and does not require a battery.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
this is just nonsense. i've been on tour with my fair shake of well-admired guitarists, and tons of people use emg pickups. absolutely normal emg pickups. especially in metal. in talking to zakk wylde's tech on ozzfest, he told me exactly what pickups he uses and how they pretty much do not differ at all from the commercially available zw pickup set. i can see no reason why the guy's tech would have anything to gain from lying to me about it. my friend guitar techs for slayer and both kerry and jeff absolutely do use emg pickups. completely normal ones. i don't really care for emg pickups, but to insinuate that endorsing artists are always using something other than the products that they endorse is at best wild speculation and at worst a defamation of character. most endorsements are not paid endorsements, in fact the HUGE majority of them, so there is no reason for them to say "i'm using emg active pickups" and not do so. hell, i could name a huge amount of great players that sing the praises of emgs without having an endorsement. just because you don't like them doesn't mean that their endorsing artists dislike them but say otherwise for no good reason.

as far as dime (r.i.p.)is concerned, i've seen some of his guitars up close and at least a couple of them absolutely did have dimebuckers in there. it'd be easy enough for duncan to fake, but again, why bother? dime got his checks based on sales of dimebuckers, not based on saying "i use seymour duncans". from meeting the guy and talking shop, he didn't strike me as the sorta guy who'd put his name on something he didn't believe in. i mean, that's roughly equivalent to saying "the whole evolution thing is a lie! steve uses pickups that he made himself out of army field radio parts, and the evo's are just a replica of those that don't even come close to sounding the same" which of course is garbage. i'm sure he's got the odd prototype in a guitar or two, or probably other dimarzio pickups or even other brands in older guitars or whatever, but his main pickups are evos and breeds. they were made for him, so he uses them. the math is pretty simple.

i really don't know where you get a lot of your info from, but i definitely get the vibe that you need to do a little more homework before being so vocal about these opinions of yours.
sorry my friend, but you must realise, some guitars are more suitable for some gigs, and others for other gigs, different pickups, different tone whatever, the truth is, no matter what someone told u, you can feel better sleeping at night knowing that the "dimes" u saw in his guitars looked like stock dimes, but they are not...

and who cares what zakks tech told u, the point of en endorsement is to tell them those are the ones u use, so people will buy them off the shelf and try to sound like dime

its okay its an opinion but im pretty confident this is how it works, and they dont talk about it, its thier signature tone
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 AM

i dont work for clearchannel i was a phtographer and i traveled to concerts mainly but did modesl occasionaly

now i work in healthcare, i setup optics involved in eye surgery
i do fundus optics

but none of my images were licensed to me, they all belong to clearchannel and go strait to newspapers or magazines or whatever, its under the name ellipot valentine with is not my reall name for privacy reasons
but ive laways been avid in guitars, before that i was a drummer wen i was a kid
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
i worked for clearchannel media doing concert work for 5 years,i have over 500 publishings
Quote:
i dont work for clearchannel i was a phtographer and i traveled to concerts mainly but did modesl occasionaly
LOL! Just like how you own all these super expensive guitars but then somehow your dad has them, and all you can show us is some Warmoth V. I don't think your foot can fit any more in your mouth if you tried. I'm calling an official shenanigans on you. Oh, and one more thing, anyone that worked for an official media outlet (mags/newspapers etc) should be able to spell and form proper sentences and grammar beyond a 2nd grade level.

I'm done, score one for the ignore function.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 03-05-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Tags
coil tap , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , emg active , guitar tech , kirk hammet , lace sensor , lace sensors , peavey amp , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , steve vai , strat plus , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode