The millionth TRS replacement question... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Red face The millionth TRS replacement question...

...do I win a prize?

The situation:

My best friend's favourite guitar has always been Yamaha's pseudo-RG RGZ321 model, so when I found an extra cheap used one in good shape I decided to surprise him with it for Christmas. (Well, we live a few states apart, so it will be more of a New Years Eve gift than a Christmas gift.)

I've taken it upon myself to address all the minor little complaints he's had about the RGZ over the years, and am well on my way to replacing all the silver hardware with black, installing his fave Duncan pickups, etc. I had planned to replace the stock TRS-101 with a spare Lo-TRS2 I already had around the house, then permanently double block it front and back with solid wood inserts to give him the fine-tuneable fixed bridge feel he's always wanted (but without having to do any filling, routing, or refinishing!).

The product:

At what is quickly becoming the last minute, I became aware of the D07 "Fastloader" single-locking trem sold (if not manufactured?) by GuitarFetish.com .

http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html

I figured, hey, why not go one better and make it so my friend not only has a fine-tuneable fixed Floyd, but one that doesn't require ball-snipping as well? Sure, single-locks (and TRSs) are crap trems, but I'll be blocking the heck out of this one, so no worries.

The problem:

I've spent the better part of 48 hours unsuccessfully searching the internet (including Jemsite's forum archives) for an answer to the question below, which I sent to GuitarFetish but haven't received a proper reply yet...

>> Will the D07's post spacing match that of an
>> Ibanez/Yamaha style TRS-101 or TRS-Pro, or will
>> would the studs need to be repositioned?

> 2 7/8" stud spacing- so if that's what you got then
> it should be a good fit

It would be going in a Yamaha guitar that normally takes Takeuchi TRS-101 or Lo-TRS trems, which have stud spacing of 74mm (the same as most Ibanez RGs, from what I've read). 2 7/8" would be 73.025mm and 2 15/16" would be 74.612mm, so it's neither here nor there.

Since your listing for the D07 says, "I've put these on a freakin stadium full of Ibanez RG and Jackson/Charvel guitars- dead easy- on some I need to trim the top route justa hair- but like 1-2mm that's it- Everything else is STOCK" , I was hoping to find out if 74mm is generally considered the nearest-round-number metric equivalent of ' stock Gotoh/Floyd 2 7/8" ', or if the two sizes are, as my father used to say, 'close enough for government work'.

Any thoughts, lads and ladies? Is Takeuchi's 74mm the same as Gotoh's 2 7/8", or at least close enough for a non-trem trem? I'm not concerned about the cavity routing, only the post/ stud/ pivot spacing.

Ta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
duncan pickups , fixed bridge , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode