Misaligned ZR Trem saddles - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TelmaTheTelly
  • 1 Post By TelmaTheTelly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Misaligned ZR Trem saddles

Hello, guys.

I have an Ibanez s470 with the early ZR Trem, the one without the thumbwheel adjustment, and began noticing that the strings are at weird heights relative to each other. Mainly, the G and A strings are lower than the adjacent ones.
I know about the issues regarding the mismatch between trem radius and fretboard radius, but I don't think it's related. It seems to me that the saddles are of unequal height, either bent of with some other problem.
There is a photo of the rear side of the trem attached. What do you think is going on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_110952971_1546002700219.jpg (2.56 MB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Re: Misaligned ZR Trem saddles

Dude, that's your fine tuners that are screwed in to get the guitar in tune. It's a totally normal behavior.
To get them even unlock the nut pads, turn the fine tuners completely back (ccw) and back in about 1.5 turns. Now tune the guitar with the normal tuners and then lock the nut. Tune again with the fine tuners. Then the fine tuners will be about even.

The different height of the fine tuners does not affect the action of your individual strings! They only affect the pitch of the individual strings.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for the attention!
That's not the issue. Even when the fine tuners are all the way up, the base in which they're screwed remains misaligned. You can see it in the six parts that have holes in them. They are all randomly scattered, and their heights don't change when moving the fine tuners.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Ok, maybe I don't really get it.

The parts with the holes have to go up and down when turning the tuners. You can press on them with your finger and they will go down. Otherwise something is blocking and you can't fine tune.
OTOH the parts with the holes seem to be tilted too. That's strange. Please check if you can press them down with your fingers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:05 AM

Oh, yeah. Checked it with my Edge Zero. The parts with the holes are fixed and should align. The upper parts have to move.

The misaligned Parts seem to be bent or something similar. You can disassemble the trem. Loosen the string e.g. of the G string and unscrew the intonation screw. Now you can take off the saddle. It should be straight. The part with the hole is a string saddle that has to be straight. Maybe your saddles aren't fixed properly. You will see when you disassemble them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c59ddf991adb18110245dce2fa99db0e.jpg (15.4 KB, 14 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

That's weird, isn't it? I have no problem with the fine tuners or their range of adjustment. I'll take it apart tonight and post the results here later.
Thanks!
TJ777 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Perhaps it's been apart already and the saddles have been put back in the wrong places.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Vendor

String radius on the early bridges was horrible. If the lockdown washer didn't slip under the saddle when somebody was setting intonation then shims are your only answer. All saddles are the same height [theoretically] and the radius is built into the baseplate.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Got it!

As I was taking apart the trem, I instantly understood what was going on, when removing the first saddle.
The saddle is fixed into place via the intonation screw, in its front, and fine tuner in the back, which pushes down a spring against from the top to the base of the saddle.
Normally, the "part with the hole", which is the base of the two-piece saddle, rests flat on the base plate.
However, when the intonation screw is tightened in the front, it pivots in the middle and raises the back of the saddle. I don't know if it is because of flexing or because the base is simply not flat enough.

So, the workaround would be to set the intonation screw in that rearmost hole, when possible, and tightening it just enough to prevent the saddle from moving forward under the tension of the strings. That shall mitigate the difference in string height.

Thank you all for the help and attention. I wish you guys a happy New year.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:07 AM

The saddle shouldn't raise/pivot when tightening the intonation screw. You should check the reason for that.
Are the saddles flat on the downside? Is the baseplate ok?
I only have one guitar where all the intonation screws are in the same threat (the front one). On all other guitars they vary. You need the freedom to put the screw where the intonations demands it.

Have a happy New Year!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

It really shouldn't.
The base plate is all right.
The saddles aren't too flat, I checked against a flat surface and the bottoms are very slightly convex, enough to have this effect. I'm guessing that either they were overtightened by the previous owners, or the manufacturing on such early units was less than optimal.
TJ777 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode