mod questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

mod questions

hi all. i am the proud owner of a jem 555. now before the flame war begins, let me say this. i LOVE my 555. i know it aint no fancy DNA swirl or nothing, but as far as the jem world is concerned, she's alls i gots and i wouldnt trade her for the world. now anyways, to the mods!

if i wanted to and could get ahold of one, could i switch out the crappy TRS trem (one of the few rants i AGREE with about the 555, the trem SUCKS) for a lo-pro or edge model without any fancy routing work or any other modifications to the body?

does anyone here happen to have a left handed neck (or at least maybe a regular right-handed neck with reverse headstock) that they want to get rid of? i always loved the ibanezes with reverse heads, and i think my jem would look great with one. i know i would lose the half-vine (one of the OTHER rants i AGREE with, why couldnt they just do the whole thing?) inlay, but its a small price to pay, plus i could always either do an inlay myself (once i learn how to) or pay someone to do it for me.

does the 555 have REAL evos in it, or are they japanese aftermarket copies (IE: the supposed "USA MADE" epiphone pups in most of their high end models. we all know they arent really 498r's and 500t's, but they still claim they are!). i have always wondered this, and i dont nesacarily believe the ibanez paperwork that says they are. i want the facts from seasoned pros like you guys.

one last Q, maybe not for the mod forum, but im just wondering. has anyone ever actually SEEN a jem333 for sale ANYWHERE? ebay? guitar center or sam ash? ANYWHERE AT ALL?

thats my Qs, hope i havent broken any forum rules here, and i must say that this is a great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:54 AM

1. Concrats on your jem, it's a cool axe!
2. Lo Pro's don't fit right in, sorry. In most cases you do need routing. To really enjoy the benefits of an Edge, you'd also need to change out the studs. But, there are some briliant Luthiers who can fix you up, like Jeremy from lgmguitars.com
3. The evo's are as real as you are going to get them..
4. 333's are only for sale in selects parts of Azia, because of the sheer number of fake jem bootlegs.

BTW, don't have a neck for you, but Jeremy can make you any neck, with any inlay you want.

Cheers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

TY for the replies and not automatically bashing my 555. i see a lot of people doing it on here, and quite frankly i dont see why. i own damn near 40 guitars, some of them rarities and a lot of them mid to "low" grade instruments. some of my low grades tear the HELL out of my high grades! i love the 555's because it gives us "po" kids a chance to own a jem and not have to break the law or go bankrupt to buy one! arent the newer (2004 (?) models?) ones equiped with better trems?

Tags
dna swirl , reverse headstock , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode