modding a PGM3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
oYx

solved! thanks.

i've recently been getting more impressed with ibanez's korean-made guitars, and gotten myself a PGM. the neck on this PGM is nice, so is its looks.

any other suggestions for any mods?

edit: swapped the saddles, and it worked. anyone tried adding a tone knob?

Last edited by oYx; 02-13-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 06:36 PM

A lot of people have swapped out there TRS bridge for a original floyd rose, floyd rose pro, or schaller floyd rose. I have heard of isolated times where a person had some problems putting one in with no modifications but the majority all say it can be done. If you decide to buy the trem from www.warmoth.com it will come with a new locking nut and will most likely fix your weird ring! That's my 2 cents
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
oYx

thanks man, for being the first to reply. to be honest, i bought this guitar for fun, and it truly has been a fun guitar. i am now contemplating to keep this, but still not ready to spend the bucks for an original floyd rose for it yet.

i might want to block the trem. meanwhile, i'll just have to figure out where the weird ring is really coming from. one of those weird guitar problems.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:06 PM

How about put some wadding under and above you springs? It could be that the springs are vibrating witch makes a ringing noise.....
I had a ringing noise from my springs when I first got my RG3120....
Some wadding solved it.....

(haven't been able to listen to your sound file though so I'm not sure it's the same ringing)

But hell.....just try maybe it works
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
oYx

thanks for the suggestion, but the 'abnormal' ring sounds like a sitar-ish effect, so the string is being hindered in some way.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
oYx

edit: double post.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:06 AM

Check the string saddle. Maybe it is worn in such a way that the string vibrates "differently" across a length of it rather than on a single point.

See if a light picking action sounds different when compared to a hard strike.

If the saddle is "flat" I don't know what you could do with it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
oYx

i was thinking of swapping the 6th string's saddle with the 1st's. but the more i think about how when the first string sounds ok when it is fretted, the more i think it's the nut. just that i don't know how i can do some temporary fix to the nut such that i can diagnose.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:31 PM

from what you described, i would say the problem is in the nut because you mentioned that if you fret the string, the ringing goes away. well going by that, if its a bridge problem, it should still be there because simply fretting doesn't take the bridge out of the "equation". On the other hand, fretting a note will take the nut ouf of the "equation". The problem is probably that the string is not resting on the nut properly due to a bad quality nut. I don't know any EASY fixes to suggest. To test the problem, i would suggest you shim the nut higher to see if the problem is still there. But shimming can be a hassel and its definitly not a fix cause it's bound to bring your action higher, which is undesirable for most. I suppose you can try this: take off the pad on the nut, use your nails to press the string to the nut on the side closer to the fret board and see if the problem is still there....hope that helps...

-Bo

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose pro , fret board , locking nut , schaller floyd rose , string saddle , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode