Modding a yamaha pacifica 012 with Seymour Duncan TB-6 or SH-6.? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Modding a yamaha pacifica 012 with Seymour Duncan TB-6 or SH-6.?

Hey! I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Its a cheap guitar. (200$). It has an agathis body. And a vypyr 15 modelling amplifier.
I hate the stock pickups on my guitar because they suck. So I was thinking of modifying the bridge with Passive pickups. Im not getting actives because the other two pickups will be useless. So its either the TB-6 or the SH-6. I think ill get the TB-6 cause my guitar has a tremolo. All I wanna know is whether it'll sound good. And TB-6's are really rare. So if I go with SH-6, is there a problem? I just need that awesome distortion. I've heard that SH-6/TB-6 sounds better than EMGs! They even sound brighter and all. My stock pickups are too muddy and there isnt much quality in the sound it produces. I just wanna know whether a mod will increase my guitar's quality. Will it have a negative effect? Will it produce any unwanted noises?Will it work well with my vypyr?
Help me out! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Modding a yamaha pacifica 012 with Seymour Duncan TB-6 or SH-6.?

if you swap the pickups, that should fix your problem. also, be sure to go all out and put some copper insulation tape in the cavities to reduce your unwanted feedback.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommychains View Post
if you swap the pickups, that should fix your problem. also, be sure to go all out and put some copper insulation tape in the cavities to reduce your unwanted feedback.
What do you mean by cavities? Im a real noob. Sorry. And will the sound quality increase a lot?? Which one should I get? The SH-6 or the TB-6? Is there much of a difference? And will it work well with my vypyr?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Well the Tb-6 will surely better the sound of the guitar. The cavity is the routed area under your pickguard, where the electronics are connected. To minimize hum noises from single coil pickups these have to be shielded against magnetic diruptions from outside. I personally would get a DiMarzio pickup, they even have a Pickup finder and will help you choose on the phone.(Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are both quality brands nontheless) Going well with the vypyr? Every good quality pickup will go well with a modeling amp. I am using Dimarzio breeds in my Ibanez RG with my Line 6 Spider iv and get great tones, much like Paul Gilbert's tone.
The TB-6 is for Floyd Rose equipped guitars, since you have a standard Tremolo, you have to take the SB-6. There is no difference except the string spacing. I hope that helps.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Reviews: 6

About fifteen years ago I put an SD 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge position of an old Japanese Squire. It sounds fantastic!! Mind you it is about 30 years old now and gets played every day (my teaching guitar) so well played in and practically vintage I reckon your Pacifica will sound great.

I'd second the sheilding. Ive never really needed to do it, but it won't do any harm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreak777 View Post
Well the Tb-6 will surely better the sound of the guitar. The cavity is the routed area under your pickguard, where the electronics are connected. To minimize hum noises from single coil pickups these have to be shielded against magnetic diruptions from outside. I personally would get a DiMarzio pickup, they even have a Pickup finder and will help you choose on the phone.(Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are both quality brands nontheless) Going well with the vypyr? Every good quality pickup will go well with a modeling amp. I am using Dimarzio breeds in my Ibanez RG with my Line 6 Spider iv and get great tones, much like Paul Gilbert's tone.
The TB-6 is for Floyd Rose equipped guitars, since you have a standard Tremolo, you have to take the SB-6. There is no difference except the string spacing. I hope that helps.
Hey thanks! And the vypyr isnt going that well like its supposed to. I heard it on youtube and it kicks ass. I played it and it wasnt all that great. Its gotta be the pickups. And are DiMarzio Super Distortions better than SD SH-6s? Will it work well on m guitar? It has an agathis wood so its like a cheaper version of mahogany.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat69 View Post
About fifteen years ago I put an SD 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge position of an old Japanese Squire. It sounds fantastic!! Mind you it is about 30 years old now and gets played every day (my teaching guitar) so well played in and practically vintage I reckon your Pacifica will sound great.

I'd second the sheilding. Ive never really needed to do it, but it won't do any harm.
OK cool! I'm gonna do it then!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Are you guys sure that it will change my guitars tone a lot? Because you cannot imagine how badly it sucks right now. My guitar has an Alnico II pickup(I guess) and it sucks ass. I dont think it was made for distortion. So remember that my guitars wood is agathis(Cheap Mahogany). Thanks!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

In my opinion changing the pickup will have the biggest impact on the sound of your guitar.
While agathis might not be a tone wood you will see an improvement assuming that the pickups currently in there are no name jobs. A lot of BS is spouted about wood bodies etc and while a lot of it is true its also worth remembering that wood is a natural product and there are as many 'good' cheap guitar bodies that sound great as there are top quality guitar bodies that sound poo!
A pickup change is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar with good pickups in (a lot of cheaper guitars have poor pickups in anyway!).
Its been a while since I played a pacifica, but I remember them being good sounding guitars out of the box. How does it sound acoustically? Is it loud? does in have a decent sustain. Does it feel lively against your body? All these are good signs in a solid body (in my experience) and a pick up change may just unleash the beast lol!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
In my opinion changing the pickup will have the biggest impact on the sound of your guitar.
While agathis might not be a tone wood you will see an improvement assuming that the pickups currently in there are no name jobs. A lot of BS is spouted about wood bodies etc and while a lot of it is true its also worth remembering that wood is a natural product and there are as many 'good' cheap guitar bodies that sound great as there are top quality guitar bodies that sound poo!
A pickup change is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar with good pickups in (a lot of cheaper guitars have poor pickups in anyway!).
Its been a while since I played a pacifica, but I remember them being good sounding guitars out of the box. How does it sound acoustically? Is it loud? does in have a decent sustain. Does it feel lively against your body? All these are good signs in a solid body (in my experience) and a pick up change may just unleash the beast lol!
Thanks dude I just needed someone to push me to the edge of changing pickups. And The guitar is as loud as any electric guitar is unplugged. It has a nice sustain and it feels really good playin it! Its just that the pickups suck! Now im gonna change em! So SH-6 OR TB-6? I
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM

Ive found with my strat that some strings sound quiter than others due to the strings not being directly over the pole pieces (the buckers came out of my les paul) so definately go for the trembucker spacing.

Are you keeping the originals in the neck and middle? I know you probably think you won't use them, but you can get a nice lead tone from the neck p/u. I put a kent armstrong single coil size humbucker in the middle position of my strat and its a great rhythm pickup (I tend to play more classic rock than really heavy stuff) I even get some great (but different) inbetween sounds cause its wired up as a normal strat, just with humbuckers instead of single coils!

Maybe thats something for another upgrade though eh?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 120

Are you asking whether it should be a standard or trembucker model? It should be a trembucker model.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ive found with my strat that some strings sound quiter than others due to the strings not being directly over the pole pieces (the buckers came out of my les paul) so definately go for the trembucker spacing.

Are you keeping the originals in the neck and middle? I know you probably think you won't use them, but you can get a nice lead tone from the neck p/u. I put a kent armstrong single coil size humbucker in the middle position of my strat and its a great rhythm pickup (I tend to play more classic rock than really heavy stuff) I even get some great (but different) inbetween sounds cause its wired up as a normal strat, just with humbuckers instead of single coils!

Maybe thats something for another upgrade though eh?
Thanks for the advice dude! Really but i guess im gonna have to wait for another time to do that. Really have a tight budget. Thanks!

Quote:
Are you asking whether it should be a standard or trembucker model? It should be a trembucker model.
Cool Thanks! But I dont think ill get the trembucker because its rare.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 AM

Reviews: 120

What are you talking about? All Seymour Duncan humbuckers come in two spacing types, standard and trembucker. One is not rarer than the other.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM

My thought is that maybe on a budget (and living in India I think) that they may be thin on the ground on ebay etc. I'm sure the OP will be along shortly to tell you himself lol

Tags
agathis , duncan seymour , stratocaster , tb-6 , yamaha pacifica 012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode