monkey grip handle!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

monkey grip handle!!

hi everyone!
i have a question about monkey grip!
i want to get my guitar(RG type) handled!but some of my net frieds told me that it would get some problems and loss of my guitar's sustain!
is it true???
does my guitar lose sustain and tone??
tanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 10:02 AM

eh, i wouldn't worry about it if i was you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 11:01 AM

Nah, I dont think it will loose sustain. Just be careful when you do it and good luck!! Your braver than me if you try it.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 01:08 PM

I have done 3 or 4 monkey grips on geetars now,And to be honest i have yet to notice a differance in sustain,You'll lose more sustain through shimming the neck pocket,It will NOT sound crap,I'm really not sure what Gary is trying to say there? but definately get someone decent to do it properly,I know from experiance that routers can chip wood very easily if your unsure of what your doing ;-)

The only "real" effect it will have on your tone/sustain/sound is very slight and i suspect very few people would be able to tell the differance to a guitar they had played for awhile,Then somebody removed the wood for a monkey grip and then played again ... Very few indeed

i hope that helps

Rob
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys!
unfortunately there is NO custom shop or anything here in my city!!!and i really want my guitar monkeyhandled.but naturally i'm frightened to hurt my guitar
i think i should find a expirenced furniturist or a wood master!!!

but how come a non-handled guitar may lose something about tone etc...,but a standart jem doesnt????is it about finish or what???
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:04 AM

every guitar sounds a certain way, it has to do with the wood, the way it resonates, the pickups, everything on the guitar effects the sound slightly.
In that sense, 2 guitars of the the exact same make and model sound ever so slightly different. some sound a lot differnt.

Therefore, since everything effects the way the guitar resonates, to the very keen ear, there might be a slight difference in tone if you cut a portion of the wood away that is audible.

The jem doesn't sound 'different' with the grip because it always *had* one. If you were to fill the monkey grip with wood, it would probably change the tone a bit as well Similarly, if you were to cut a chunk out of the other side of the jem, it would effect the tone too.

But I still say don't worry about it. But please, I highly reccomend getting it done professionally. It's a tough thing to do, and it'll look like poo poo if you don't know what your doing. Trust me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:50 PM

http://www.universaljems.com/ and they have links and tutorials how to do em.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
But I still say don't worry about it. But please, I highly reccomend getting it done professionally. It's a tough thing to do, and it'll look like poo poo if you don't know what your doing. Trust me.
thank you friend...i trust you!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:14 PM

never use a drill freehand and never cut corners ;-)

Rob

(monkey grippage roolz)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks!!!
as i havent understood wrong i should use a fixed(or stable/non-handed) drill,especially on corners,hmmm????

Tags
custom shop , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode