The most versatile pickup combination ever - What's your sug - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

The most versatile pickup combination ever - What's your sug

Ho all you tone gurus and EJ disciples out there.
The question's really simple: What is the most versatile combination of three pickups you know/could imagine on a solid body electric guitar? ...And please do not suggest "Evolutions everywhere" as a versatile setup.
The only limit is that no Megaswitches should be involved.
So, give me your best shot, buster.... :biggrin:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:10 PM

The most versatile pickup combination ever

Hi,

my most versatile setup is Alnico II humbucker for neck, alnico II singelcoil for middle and custom custom for bridge, all Seymour Duncans.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 06:55 PM
DD

Seymour Duncan JB - bridge
Seymour Duncan '59 - neck
Seymour Duncan Hot Strat SSL-3 - middle

That's what I like.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:05 PM

Hasn't anybody ever tried any "non-standard" pickup configs? It seems everyone's hung up on about four different pickup arrangements:

H-H
H-S-S
H-S-H
S-S-S

Not that there's anything wrong with these... they get the job done. But i suspect that most people don't stray from these much mainly because they're what most guitars come with, and not everybody likes to carve up their guitars to experiment.

I'd encourage people to play more with pickup positioning and switching options as well as simply changing brand and/or pickup model. You'd be surprised at what you might find.

One of my guitars has humbuckers in the bridge and middle positions (like the old Kramer Nightswan) and i'd add a single coil to the neck position if wanted to cut another hole in this guitar and change the switching arrangement. (ESP's Stephen Carpenter signature model has a H-H-S config like this.)

Each of the humbuckers on my guitar has a series-split-parallel mini-switch on it. I've got a ****ty Jackson humbucker in the bridge (which seems to have died... no great loss... never really used it) and a Duncan JB model in the middle position. I'm thinking of replacing the Jackson with a Duncan Screamin' Demon.

I can tell you that the JB in the middle position with a series-split-parallel switch sounds absolutely unbelievable, and combined with the tone control, can get a TON of different sounds, all of which sound great.

My theory is that if you take a pickup like the JB that's optimized for the bridge position, and move it away from the bridge, you get a much richer, harmonically complex sound. The string excursion is greater there, so you also get more volume.

Try it! You might like it!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 03:44 PM

For versatility...I'd like an EVO at the bridge, a Lace Sensor in the middle, and a Paf in the neck...all the pickups would work ok alone, and mixing them would be weird too...thats pretty versatile for me. *Although personally I'd like evo bridge and jem middle and paf pro neck. *Sort sort of old new Jem P/U hybrid. *I really dont like that EVO in the neck on the newer jems.

Tags
bridge position , electric guitar , evo bridge , lace sensor , neck position , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , stephen carpenter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode