Mother of Pearl "wallpaper" - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
dex

Mother of Pearl "wallpaper"

This is probably the weirdest question you are ever going to get but here goes.
Is there anything like Mother of Pearl self adhesive photo film thing available that one can stick on top of his scratchplate to make it look like mother of pearl?
I'm asking because I already have the scrarchplate made and it's a custom RG scratchpate cut for 3 strat style single coils (bridge is slanted) and I don't want to get another one made only to decide that I want to stick with this one.

The one I have is 3 play black because originaly I wanted to go with black pickups but now have decided to get white pickup covers and go for the flat out strat look.
Anyway, is there anything you know of that sounds like what I might be after?

ilia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 12:10 PM

There is a website that sells stuff like that someone had linked to it before actually. I just cant remember on top of my head but im pretty sure its NOt abalone accents
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
dex

Well I spent the last week trying to find something even remotely like a MoP (or pearloid) looking foil, film or even wrapping paper and couldn't.
Seems strange as there are soo many different designs of wrapping paper out there.

So after a trip to Hobby Craft, Clinton Cards, WoolWorths, Birthdays and even Staples I give up.
Will have to cut a new scratchplate from scratch (pun intended).

ilia
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:10 PM

I recently just covered up my RG550's pickguard with contact paper to save the cost of buying a new pickguard. I know, it's pretty cheap sounding, but I wasn't going for a really classy look. From a few feet, it looks fine. Here's a shot:

I think the contact paper cost me 3 bucks
Dig the different colored dots in the neck Jeremy put in for me!

jim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
dex

This is exactly what I'm after but I couldn't find that design anywhere.
Do you mind telling me where you bought it from and I'll try and find it over here. Thanx.

ilia
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 11:42 PM

It's just contact paper, I think I got a roll at K-Mart. I'll find a place online that sells it and get you a link.

jim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:00 AM

I don't see a place in the UK, but there are hundreds of places on the Internet that sell it. Do a search, it's just called "Contact Paper", it's a brand name of self adhesive shelf lining paper made by 3M (the scotch tape company). I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in a local home or hardware store.

jim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:52 PM

SpongeBob Squarepants!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
dex

I found many places here that sell contact paper but none of them had a design that resembled marble or mother of pearl.
Any other design you can think of - they have, just not the one I'm after.

I did find a strange gloss white that goes all pink and gold when you move it so I'll probably try that but I did order a new pearloid pickguard because that is what I decided to go for.
Thanx for checking it out though.

ilia
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelm
SpongeBob Squarepants!!!
SpongeBob is Mighty!

Tags
black pickups , pearloid pickguard , pickup cover , strat style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode