Much needed wisdom about a swirl build - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Much needed wisdom about a swirl build

Hello all . New to the site so I'm sorry for posing a question probably covered 100 times already but I could use the help . I'm doing a swirl build using a beautiful body from Chris at Mai guitar and I'm wondering about some trem options . The body is routed for a Edge , edge pro or edge lo-pro . Having a little trouble finding one of those at a reasonable price so I'm considering others . Kind of landed on the Gotoh 1996T . Seems like a good choice for the dollar but to order it I need to know the block size . can't seem to find an Edge block size (depth) anywhere . I think I saw a photo that had a block with the numbers 38 (for MM ) on it but I want to be sure . Also I think I read that a Floyd Rose spec bridge will drop into a Edge rout so I'm assuming that the Gotoh should work . Am I right in that assumption .
The body has had Ibanez inserts mounted so Studs with the Gotoh maybe an issue . I'm guessing I could use Ibanez posts ? Anyone ?
Lastly for now just a general question about the various trems out there .
Is it reasonable to assume that most Tremolo posts are spaced the same distance apart in the body ? Or all they all different and require an specific set of holes drilled . Finding a good bridge among all the knock offs and Licensed cheaply made crap has been a chore I never expected so any wisdom would be really appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 AM

Re: Much needed wisdom about a swirl build

Just find a used Edge or Lo Pro Edge on eBay. There are tons of them.

The stud spacing will be wring for a Gotoh or Floyd and you'll end up with string alignment issues. For stud inserts and posts, hit up Rich at Ibanezrules (banner at top). Always your best bet to use a brand new set of studs for your best tuning stability.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode