Muting unplayed strings from ringing while using whammy? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Muting unplayed strings from ringing while using whammy?

I've noticed that when I use the whammy bar, I get some unintentional ringing on unplayed strings. During normal playing, these strings are muted by my right hand, but when I lift that hand to use the whammy, they start to make noise. I usually try to mute them using any free left-hand fingers, but that's not always possible.

What do you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 02:44 AM

I usually roll my right hand off of the strings, that seems to keep them quieter than just lifting my hand straight off.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Fry

Try and be more finesse (don't know how to spell that.) You might be brushing the strings a little bit when you are lifting off your hand to use the trem, and then they really start to vibrate when you start using it. Try to lift your hand straight off.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 02:47 AM
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
I usually roll my right hand off of the strings, that seems to keep them quieter than just lifting my hand straight off.
lol, we posted at the same time, i didn't see yours until i viewed my own post. bachle7 is actually right, I meant to say roll your hand off, but I couldn't think of what to say.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:36 PM

or

Or you could buy that device they have for it that jennifer has pattened. My buddy has them on a few of his custom shops and uses them for 8 finger tapping and in the studio. It's mounted to your headstock and it's shaped like a T. there's a piece of foam at the end that touches right infront on the nut to mute out the open strings when you don't want them played. You can easily pull it down to touch the strings, or push it off and it goes back to where the headstock is out of the way... Or if you want to go ghetto style do what Reb did while recording with winger and tie a sock around the end of your neck... hahaha
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 03:05 PM

bit too difficult to lift the muting thing up and then put it back down just to do one whammy bar dive or whatever. you'd have to flick the muting thing up with your left hand while you were using the trem then flick it back down and go back to playing, then do the same thing all over again. my advice is look at players who didnt have the kind of hardwear we have today, hendrix is considered the best guitarist ever, and he just wanked the trem off regardless of noise, make it part of your style
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:14 PM

no

no you don't use it for the instance, you leave it down the entire time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM

yes i know, but not if you wanted to play open chords, from the sound of things this fella means while he's playing songs that require the odd whammy jobby, obviously if you were playing something that was all tapped it would be down all the time. i was just trying to be daft
get with the program y'all
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Well, forget using that thing to do open string harmonic dives..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodros
yes i know, but not if you wanted to play open chords, from the sound of things this fella means while he's playing songs that require the odd whammy jobby, obviously if you were playing something that was all tapped it would be down all the time. i was just trying to be daft
get with the program y'all
he still could, it just doesn't let the open strings ring, that should be a problem as the only open you might do is an E and it would still give you a palm muted heavy sound you were going for in the 1st place.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 PM

I use my left thumb and bring that around onto the lower strings to mute them, which leaves the other free fingers on my left hand to mute whatever else needs muting.

I have really long fingers though.

wil..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:41 PM

play it unplugged then the strings wont ring out as much, or at least you won't notice it. perfect.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Fry

Using the little sock trick around the neck, or some little device that is the same as the sock trick is weak. It is like riding a bike with training wheels. You gotta learn how to do it without extra help.

Tags
custom shop , lower strings , palm mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode