is my action height high. do i need some fret work done? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

is my action height high. do i need some fret work done?

my guitar is an rg570ct from 1995 and has its original wizard 2 neck and fretboard. i believe the radius of it is 430.

at first i tried setting up my action to what is a low a action. around 2mm on the low e string and 1.8mm on the high e string at the 12th fret. on the 24th fret its 2.5mm and 1.9mm on the e string. i was actually able to lower the high e string even more and it was perfect. but my wound strings on my low e string was showing a on a few fret a little buzz. and a lot of buzz especially at the 9th fret on my low e string when and 7th fret on my a string which really kinda sucks because i play on thoughs for iron man. but i cant hear it when my amp is on dirty any ways so it was not horrible. although it was still unbareable to play with for me especially on the clean channel. the buzz was not bad enough where you would hear it through out the whole not but mostly it was a quick stab right after i plucked. especially when i plucked hard for a power chord. the buzz was only on my wound strings and mostly the low e and a string. i raised it to 2.5mm low e at the 12th fret and the high e i lowered because its perfect. and that got rid from being aparent when i pluck very gently. but when i pluck hard like for a power chord its still a bit apparent. would this be a sign i should get some one to do some fret work on it?

This is my first guitar ever and i am the second owner of it so i have never gotten any one to fret work for me. how much will it cost to get fretwork done on it? will it shorten the life of the frets? like does it make the size of the frets smaller at all or is it not noticable? will fret work help or is this a sign of minor wear and its to early to worry and need this? i dont know if the previous owner had fret work on it but when i got it there were no dents or any where on the frets and there still isnt the slightest dent on the frets at all there just a bit shinier on the tips of them where the strings touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: is my action height high. do i need some fret work done?

it sounds like you could tighten the truss rod a bit and it the action should be equal from the bottom to the top of the board length-wise... at least that's the way mine are, and they are like heaven to play...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

well right now the way i have it. on my low e string the first fret is .5mm and my 24th fret is about 3mm and the 12th fret is 2.5mm i dont know why its so low on my first fret but isnt that how its supposed to be are you saying i should make the action by my nut higher? how do i do that? if i lower the bridge any more a little buzz comes on. my neck is mad straight. its just that i have my bridge so high up. i dont know if it will get straighter but if it could how would having less relief make it less likely for my strings to hit the frets in front of what i am intending to fret on? i would think it would make it more likely to do that. i assume its buzzing because its hitting the frets infront of what i am fretting on but i could be wrong. what else could be causing buzzing? what do you think is making it buzz? because to me when i hold down the string to the fret it looks very close to the fret ahead of it but definitely not touching but very close. also its not buzzing constantly through out the not its like a split second after i pick hard. but the rest of the note is clean.

as i said i am new at playing the guitar so i may just be very confused and not know what i am talking about.

Last edited by jrade; 12-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM

turning the truss rod to the right (tightening it) should make your action slightly more equal throughout the neck....i hate having even the slightest margin of difference from the 1st to the 24th fret, so i get mine as equal as possible.
the way i had the action on my jem when i first got it, was paper low from the 1st to the 12th (i kid you not and no fret buzz whatsoever) it played like air... but the 12 to 24 was so high off that it felt pointless to play anything on that guitar that wasn't just chords. so i tightened my truss rod and raised my action a little so that it would be almost equal the length of the neck. this might help get rid of fret buzz, but once you get it equal, you may have to raise the strings ever so slightly
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

i'm sorry if what i said didn't make much sense, i'm pretty much a newbie too, i just do trial and error until i get the results i want.haha
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

well i dont think i am capable of tightening my truss rod any more. see i dont have any bow in my fret board. the only reason its varying from the back in height to the front is because of how high i have my bridge. if i pinch down my 1st and 24th fret my string is pretty much touching all my frets. there about 1/8th of millimeter between my string and the frets when i pinch down my 1st and 24th fret. so tightening my fret board wont do a difference. but my bridge is high enough where my strings are now at 2mm off the 24th fret. but on the first fret my nut has it at .5 mm off a fret. i think its just because of where i have my bridge and i think it also because my locking nuts are positioned that way. but i dont know with that pinching test does that mean there is any more room for tightening it.

all my frets are playing fine at the action i have now except for my 9th fret on my low e string. what i did is put tape on it where the string rest and that fixed the buzz temporarily lol. so i think that means that fret needs work or something right? the rest is fine when i have my guitar at 2mm on low e wound string and 1.5mm on my high e string at my 24th fret.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

what you said does make perfect sense but to me physically seems like it will cause the opposite of what will fix my guitar. but hey your not holding it so its hard for you to know exactly what i am experiencing maybe i am not describing it right.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM

A truss rod adjustment might help, but really it'll only be able to go so far if it has a bad fret job. A level and re-crowning should do wonders for the action it can get without buzzing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

awsome how much would a level and recrowning cost?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM

my local shop charges 75 for level crown on standard fretwire. Expect something in that ballpark.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

thats not bad at all. although my fretwire looks really large so i will see just a little saving up i guess.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Check if youtr trem is angled correctly, is the marks of the knife edges should be parallel to the guitar's body.

Regards,
Nelson
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah i am very picky about that actually. it annoys me when there not angled right at all. i dont really understand whats the benefit of when its angle right or wrong but i know its angled flat to the body because it annoys me when its not. i adjusted the screws and tuned it a million times until it leveled out perfect.

Tags
action , fret work , frets even , rg570ct , string height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode