my edge pro tremolo is defective from factory!! need help! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

my edge pro tremolo is defective from factory!! need help!

hi everybody, this is my first post on this site... i am David from Argentina and i need some help.

i bought an edge pro in perfect condition..it was from a ibanez prestige rg 1450, i putted it on a rg370 `2000 ..it originally has the edge pro 2 , so the body cavity was perfect for the japanese version.

the problem stars here...the guy who sold it to me changed the edge pro for a gotoh tremolo in his ibanez prestige because one saddle of the edge pro (the first string saddle) brokened when he was playing (when the guitar has 1 moth of use)... i deceided to buy this bridge because i thinked that my old edge pro 2 saddle works in the edge pro new, and i was right because it worked... i bought the tremolo because i thinked it became broken for a bad treatment in the musical house..

but... the problem is that at 4 months of i haved it another saddle brokened when i was playing (the second string) and i dont been doing any tremolo abuse or somenthing rare... then i changed the second saddle of my edge pro 2 and i and continued using it. But yesterday my tremolo arm (the original tremolo arm who camed with the tremolo) brokened too.... one part of the tremolo arm is still inside the tremolo arm cavity, and is obviosly this is a problem of factory default...

My question is..anyone of you haved the same problem?? i dont know anyone who haved this kind of problems with a ibanez tremolo...and i have de lo pro edge `91 it still works perfect! a edge 3 and a edge pro 2... perfect too. So this is a shock for me...and another and most important question, do you know some international number or contact to ibanez company that i can reclaim this problem??

thank for read..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Re: my edge pro tremolo is defective from factory!! need help!

I can't comment on the saddles breaking. I need to know more, or need to see pictures to see exactly what you mean by "break."

As far as the tremolo bar breaking off--yep, I've done that. It's not a defect with the tremolo. You either got a defective bar, the bar was already fatigued from years of use, or just exerted the wrong kind of force on it.

Whatever the case, the bar breaking is rare, but not unusual (nor a defect with the trem).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM

back when i got my rg320dxqm edge 3 bridge i tigntend a saddle and it broke on me as well but that was a really really old trem
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

i have the 2 saddles broken and the whammy bar.... i will put the pics here in a few hours ... i repeat; the all tremolo was new,..the edge knifes are perfect, and i putted the tremolo bar in the right position too, i have also the lo pro edge..i know that system..thats why i thinked "this can be impossible!" the whammy bar of my lo pro edge is from the '91 i only changed the arm torque bushing
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarci View Post
i have the 2 saddles broken and the whammy bar.... i will put the pics here in a few hours ... i repeat; the all tremolo was new,..the edge knifes are perfect, and i putted the tremolo bar in the right position too, i have also the lo pro edge..i know that system..thats why i thinked "this can be impossible!" the whammy bar of my lo pro edge is from the '91 i only changed the arm torque bushing
Right, the whammy bar breaking is rare, but CAN happen.

I've only broken 1 Ibanez whammy bar in my 20+ years of playing--and in that time I've only owned Ibanez guitars (9 of them, to be exact), and 8 of them had Edge, Lo Pro, or Edge Pro trems. It was on an original Edge trem on my 1990 RG550. I played the hell out of that guitar, and one day dive-bombed the trem and... SNAP.

Just extract the broken piece and you'll be back in business.

I've never broken saddles, so I can't comment on that till we see some photos.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

here are the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 223.jpg (82.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1 220.jpg (62.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1 222.jpg (50.5 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Wow, I'm baffled as to how the hell that saddle broke--other than it just being a weak/defective part. If there's any good news I can give, it's:

1. Aside from being a bit expensive, those saddles are easily replaceable
2. I think the problem is isolated to those defective saddles. I don't think the WHOLE tremolo is bad

The arm break looks "normal" to me, as best I can tell. I'm not saying it should've busted--it's a real bummer when it happens--but again, I don't think you have a defective tremolo. I think you have a defective whammy bar and a couple defective saddles. Sorry it happened though, I'd be kinda pissed if I got a new Ibanez and 3 things broke at once.

I do find it odd though that so much is going wrong. A busted arm plus 2 broken saddles is definitely odd.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're in Argentina. #1 (above) may not be much consolation, as I'm not sure how easy it is for you to get Ibanez parts there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Vendor

There were a couple [if not just one] batches of early EP's with questionable metallurgy, they were breaking saddles on brand new guitars, always in the same spot, that's where any saddle is going to break, and all saddles can break, Edge, Lo Pro, they're the same cast zinc as the rest of the bridge.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

is any thing i can do to reclaim this problem to ibanez company?? here in argentina is very dificult to buy a little item like this because the import politics are a ****..... even a ibanez prestige is dificult to acquire, and the musical house cant acept the responsibility of this problem.... this is not an usual problem of use, in my opinion is a bad finish in the mixture of the metals of the bridge
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Vendor

No...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No...
^ This

Unfortunately, the nature of what you bought and how you bought it, just doesn't fall under any kind of Ibanez warranty.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
^ This

Unfortunately, the nature of what you bought and how you bought it, just doesn't fall under any kind of Ibanez warranty.
i dont care about the warranty...... the guy who sold me the bridge still has the purchase receipt and there is the proof of the few time that the guitar is outside the musical house. Is obviously that the fault became of factory.... i cant say it because i know how my saddle brokened..... and if the bridge were of a hard plastic maybe it would be resisted more

i know i cant reclaim with a lawyer..my question was another... the point of what i saying was; if ibanez has files of default factory series and if they can recover the pieces i need by a moral issue...only that...if is any contact or number where i can call to explain my problem...only that
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Just to confirm.... you swaped the edge pro 2 for the edge pro no problems? Fit the route and everything ok? Im thinking of doing the same thing.
So sorry to hear you had a few problems... hope you get it fixed
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe silvia View Post
Just to confirm.... you swaped the edge pro 2 for the edge pro no problems? Fit the route and everything ok? Im thinking of doing the same thing.
So sorry to hear you had a few problems... hope you get it fixed
yes the cavity is perfect!! but be carefull with that tremolo!! jaja i hope this is my last broken saddle

Tags
edge pro broken , ibanez edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode