My First Build - The Telebanez - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

My First Build - The Telebanez

I started this build the second week of March, but I didn't want to post until it was closer to finish as I didn't have any tools and was only visiting my friend's shop one day a week on the weekends.

The concept is, two piece ash Tele body, a JS neck and JS electronics with coil split and reversed high pass filter.

I started with planing and gluing the body blank, then adding lots of relief holes to help cutting the body.

Grain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: My First Build - The Telebanez

Body cut and set aside, I started on a jig to manually sand a compound radius to the fret board.

After a couple 3D concept drawings, i started to build a test jig.

I set my start and end radii as 10"-to-12", 10"-to-14" and 10"-to-16". Next, I extended those end radii to 4", 8", 12" and 16" (only for nut side in case anyone wants to use it for a 12 string build) from body and nut ends of the board.Then I started building my rough 3D model of what the jig would look like for my 10"-14" fretboard. But as you can guess the jigs for 10-12 & 10-16 boards would be similar.

As you can see, the jig is composed of one base, one moveable top plate and two end pieces at correct radii for their distance to the nut and the body end.

The way I saw myself using this jig is with a long granite threshold or a quarts poly counter top off cut that has sticky sand paper glued to it. The sanding "plane" would ride on the end boards.

The reason I went with multiple offsets from the ends, especially at the nut is so that the jig can accommodate not only fretboard blanks, but also 1-piece neck blanks. I believe 8" from the nut can accommodate most headstocks, but I included 10" and 12" offsets to be on the safe side.

I believe the most important two things about the use of this jig are:
1. Paying great attention to the centerline when attaching the blank to the plate,
2. Placing the nut at exact distance from the outside edge of nut side offset radius board (4" for 4" offset board, 8" for the 8" offset board) so that nut starts at the correct radius, which is 10" for this case.

I used 3/4" MDF for the jig.
Here's the cut a line in pencil so twine doesn't move trick

And this is the draw a radius on MDF trick

which is followed by, "Look Ma! Two separate radiused end plates" trick

Here's the jig assembled.

Last edited by kissTheApex; 04-15-2014 at 11:58 PM.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

After marking the centerlines and nut location, I need a sacrificial scrap maple.

I have an off cut maple that is not quite enough for a neck, but for the jig it would be perfect. After making sure a one piece neck would fit, I cut of the faux headstock area as I didnt have any battery left for the circular saw to "thickness" the headstock.

Ready. Set. Go!

After a while, it looks like we're making progress....

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Happy with the results from the compound radius jig, I started building my one piece maple neck.

I've routed for truss rod channel, and drilled the tuner holes half way to avoid any tear outs.

Thinned the headstock, and drilled the truss rod adjustment hole.

Slotted the fingerboard.

Mixed some walnut dust to titebond.

And when I thought the color was not too off, I glued in the walnut strip to cover the truss rod.

Next in line is radiusing the fretboard, and shaping the neck after it comes out of the clamps.

At the time I didn't think it through and routed the one way truss rod channel too shallow, so that the skunk stripe is about 3mm at its thinnest (roughly behind 9th fret), which means I won't be able to remove as much material from the neck as I'd like. My neck blank is a bit thick at 26.5mm (1.05") right now, which leaves me with a chunky neck. I'm not a fan of super thin necks anyway, but I believe this may end up as the fattest neck I've ever had.

My favorite neck is 21 mm (0.79") thick at the first fret, and 22.5mm (0.89") thick at the 12th. If I'm lucky, radiusing the fretboard will get me down a mm or two, which should let me get close to what I like at the 12th. I guess we'll see how it goes.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Took the neck out of the clamps. Looks like the walnut skunk strip has compressed because of the clamp pressure at places. Don't know if it was to be expected or not.

Also, the most important section at the headstock end actually has a gap ... I'm going to have to pack in saw dust and thin CA to fill the gap

i took advantage of the weather (finally) and drilled the fret marker holes, and glued them in.

They did not turn as bad as I thought they would turn if i may say so myself.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

It looked like my neck developed a back bow without any tension on the truss rod so I removed the adjustment nut and propped the heel and nut ends of it and then clamped the center section overnight. Only after sleeping on it did i remember I hadn't pre-bend the truss rod . Clamping it helped, the back bow at 9th fret reduced to 0.4 mms from 1 mm. i'm hoping the string tension will do the rest. I was nervous about radiusing the fretboard with back bow on the neck, but I felt like apart from starting over, only other option was to carry on.

Compound radius jig 2.0. Modifications to make it more rigid and adjustable. The rest is the same as the proof of concept build.

Simple positioning jig to make sure center lines are matched before applying double sided carpet tape to keep it in place while sanding.

Compound radius jig. Check!
Extra long quartz beam. Check!
50 grit sand paper. Check!
Here we go!

Some 2 hours, 150, 220, 320, 400 and 600 grits later...

Drilled for and glued the side markers

Had to call it a day at that point. Next frets will be hammered in and shaping the neck shall commence.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Started hammering in the frets

Due to the manual nature of my compound radius jig, we have a problem though . As you can see below, the fret ends are up the fret board by a tiny bit. (We really DO need a bang head to brick wall smilie!)

Because of side to side movement of the sanding beam, the edges of the fretboard are more rounded. I should have paid more attention when I was operating the beam I guess. Lesson learned.

Of course I'm hoping no one's keeping a list of things wrong with the neck. Just a reminder; it has a back bow, the fretboard ends looks like they've been run through a 1/8" roundover bit, and i haven't even started shaping it. Oh boy...

Anyway. Finished hammering the frets.

On to the shaping the neck
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Clamped the neck on the saw horse,

Rough shaped the headstock transition.

On to the ferrier's rasp

Getting there.

Are we there yet?

I think so.

Going through the grits.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Aaaaand we're done!

The neck ended up less than 2mms thicker all across the board than my JS neck, so I'm happy. But from now on, double action truss rod and separate fretboard even if I'm building a neck with maple fretboard. I don't want to deal with routing a curved truss rod channel and pre-bending the truss rod.

Last edited by kissTheApex; 04-16-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Started the nut

Sanded it until the bone smell became unbearable and set it aside to be finished for curve and cut for string slots later.

Moved onto dressing the fret ends so I can start applying TruOil on the neck

A couple of frets still sticking out ever so slightly, but almost not noticeable so I decided to leave them in fear of damaging the wood. I think they will be OK once I run with the crowning file.

I wiped down a coat of TruOil and called it a day for the neck.

post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Holy beejeeejeeeez!
That's amazing work. Can't wait to see finished guitar.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Neck hanging with coats of TruOil, shifted attention to the body.

Routed the heel joint

Drilled for pot, selector switch and started on the control cavity.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Yesterday I started hollowing out the humbucker cavities

Clean the rough pieces with a chisel,

Decided to make a control cavity cover out of the off cut from the body blank

Last edited by kissTheApex; 04-16-2014 at 12:04 AM.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

It was NTD at the Apex household. This was delivered late in the afternoon

Started routing pup cavities

On the second route, the template slipped just as I was starting, and I had this little hiccup.

It's not bad, the pickup ring covers it almost fully, but I still went ahead and packed it with saw dust and thin CA.

This week is Spring Break for my son, so I won't be able to dedicate as much time I'd like, but I should be able to finish the body and start applying finish before the weekend.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

And we're caught up to the current status of the build.

I have to say, not only is this my first guitar build, but also my first woodworking project, so things are going a bit slow. I'm learning mostly on the go, if that is the correct term.

Tags
building a guitar , telebanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode