My Kramer Imperial - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

My Kramer Imperial

Well guys Ive started to mod my kramer (the explorer shaped one) - going for the 80's shred machine look up to now I have stripped the paint and scalloped frets 15 upwards. Im soon to fill the neck pickup hole, and 2 of the 3 control holes and respray (Ideas on colours would be much appriciated ). Just thought Id let you know what Im up to - and you can judge me on my first ever scallop job, be kind

-better shred than dead-ANDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 PM

I ALWAYS hated the necks on those Imperials - scalloping it probably makes it more bearable to play - I really hated the neck joint too - but I found the quad rail pickups & the coil tap REALLY good. For people looking for a 'James Hetfield' style guitar that wasn't one of those absolutely HORRIBLE new ESP EXP series - this is the one to go for....

Incidentally, I've had a Diamond Plate one of these & a Black Diamond plate ESP one (pre lawsuit) & TBH there was really not much in it in terms of likeability/playability.... both had horrible neck joints & necks - lucky I only used them for rhythm work........

I'd suggest going for a speckle silver paint job or an electric pink one if you REALLY want to go 80's......<Engage_Cringe>CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEE</End_Cringe>
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 06:45 AM

That looks bloody good scalloping so far. Well done.
What did you use out of interest?? A round file??
Gary - The.Godfather
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Looking good dude,keep up the good work,and flip colours work well on explorer shapes,give halfords a browse for paint in a can stuff ;-)

Rob
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Did some more work today. Stripped most of the paint but I've ran out of stripper now off to the hardwear shop again tomorrow.

Yeah, I used a round file for the scallops, then some 600 grit paper, then 1500 grit, then a polish with some lem-oil.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 06:33 PM

that'd look pretty cool as a natural finish but obviously not shred machine
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 AM

Yeah, actually a natural finish ala Hetfield would look pretty cool. But there are a few colours that would look cool too.

Looks good so far dude.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

I cant really go for the clear finish because Im filling the neck pickup hole and a couple of the controll holes - and you could see em. I think Ive decided on a crackle finish, pink underneath with black ontop
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:59 AM

Oh yeah I can see your problem. But I am sure whatever you do it will look good, so I wouldnt worry. It looks good so far though. The paint seems to have come off very cleanly. You gonna do the same on the headstock too??
Gary - The.Godfather
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

No im thinking of sticking with the black headstock, try and keep all eyes on the guitar at the body end, especially If I am doing a krazy paint effect. Also, I cant really be arsed sorcing a kramer logo from somewhere...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I found a pic of the type of finish im goin for...

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Well, good luck. I wouldnt like to attempt it How are you thinking of doing it may I ask?? It will look very cool though if it turns out like that.
You gonna put new pickups in too by chance??
Gary - The.Godfather
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

The process is pretty simple. Paint a normal base coat (after sanding preping etc...) then paint on a layer of waterbased woodglue (cant be any woodglue, but I have a brand than works), then mix a waterbased paint topcoat colour 2:1 with water and put it in a spray bottle (like a mr. muscle one or something). Spray the paint/water on and the water messes with the glue, causing it to dissolve and then reset, leaving those cracks. Then a non-waterbased clearcoat (so it doesnt mess with the glue again). Simple really
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 02:57 PM

Good luck dude,Just don't rush and it'll come up peachey ... I'm thinking of doing a re-fin in Orange ChromaFlair,It's freakishly gorgeous - DuPont are well worth a browse before ya start,there just maybe something there to tickle your bits ;-)

Rob
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Good luck dude,Just don't rush and it'll come up peachey ... I'm thinking of doing a re-fin in Orange ChromaFlair,It's freakishly gorgeous - DuPont are well worth a browse before ya start,there just maybe something there to tickle your bits ;-)

Rob
Any place online that shows that color? A crackle how-to and a cool orange color could inspire me to take a shot, too

thanks,

jim

Tags
black headstock , coil tap , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , scalloped frets , shred machine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode