My Neck Hurts! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
My Neck Hurts!

Yep the neck off of my 91' 570 has cracked. I plan on fixing it, but I have some issues I'm worried about and I'd like to get some opinions. First off it's cracked where it usually happens, by the 2 nut holes. The problem is that it extends to about half way between fret 1 and 2 all the way down to the fretboard on both sides. So I figure I'd remove the fretboard, finish the break (it's very close to completely broke anyway) and put it all back together and so on.
My worry is that using the method on project guitar with the steam and all, will it warp my neck? I took the finish off it once I got it so will this affect my neck? Thanks for any help, I hope to hear some opinions or answers soon, I'd like to start playing it again ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Re: My Neck Hurts!

sounds like this:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

personally, I would avoid the aggro of removing the fingerboard..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:28 PM

If you can fill the crack with glue without having to remove the fretboard, then that is the way to go.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Been there, done that. The crack is too severe to get glue everywhere it needs to be anyway. The guy that fixed the crack originally did this and it cracked in the same spot sooo..... I'm decided on removing the fretboard, I just need to know is it going to cause my neck to warp? I also forgot to mention the fretboard is coming up from the nut to about the first fret.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 PM

Just get a new neck online for about 150 bucks and your all fixed up. Order one tonight and you will be playing by Saturday....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 120

Sounds like the glue used was not strong enough. Get some Titebond, that will do the job. You might also need to make some wood dowel pins to strengthen it if it's really bad. That's what I've had done to mine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Sounds like the glue used was not strong enough. Get some Titebond, that will do the job. You might also need to make some wood dowel pins to strengthen it if it's really bad. That's what I've had done to mine.
+ 1 on Lone Phantom - if you are going to remove the fretboard, you stand a reasonably good chance of totally destroying the neck in the process, if the headstock is still attached, don't finish the job - just follow Rich's tutorial on fixing a cracked headstock and clamp it well - Titebond, or Titebond 2 are physically stronger than wood, so if the job is done correctly, you shouldn't have an issue again.

If you have even the slightest doubts as to your abilities, I really strongly suggest you get a good luthier to do the job for you, it's not really difficult, but it's also easy to screw it up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM

I have a guitar that someone gave to me where the headstock was snapped almost clean off. It was an RG270. It was fixed professionally, and the luthier used 3 brass screws as well as glue. The screws are countersunk into the wood. The guitar plays quite nicely, actually. And the back of the neck is so smooth that I rarely notice that there are three screws there under the first fret.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
If you have even the slightest doubts as to your abilities, I really strongly suggest you get a good luthier to do the job for you, it's not really difficult, but it's also easy to screw it up.
I know titebond was what was used originally and it's the only glue I use. I'm not doubting my abilities at all, just the fact that it IS unfinished, that's my only worry (other than warping, I have no worries about removing the fretboard due to a lack of skills). I know the crack is all but completely through the neck, I can clearly see that by putting minimal pressure on the headstock to see the break and I know I won't be able to get glue in every crevise. And the fact that the fretboard is already lifting is the only reason I really want to take it off and finish it that way. Also the crack is in the nut holes aswell, at the very bottom. I don't see being able to get glue in there good enough with a slice of plastic...

After a closer look, it looks like someone tried to glue down the fretboard once before (probably the same person who gluedthe neck crack), and yet another reason for me to remove it. I need to get a thin film of glue off from bottom of the board where it's lifting from the "previous fix".

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 05-11-2007 at 03:44 AM.

Tags
david mccarroll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode